Review by MortimerBrewstr

"For all of it's flaws it stands as a notable peice of art from this era. (minor spoilers about plot)"

Whether or not you enjoy this game it's the most relevant out right now. It tells the story of a person seeking the American Dream and constantly finding disillusionment when chasing it. That is like many people right now. While we may not each be stealing and killing the way the main character does, we're in the position at the moment of really wondering what our chances of a better life are. I'm hard pressed to think of another game like this. The rest of the game is merely the vehicle in which this happens. Master Chief fought a bunch of aliens, but he never had his dreams crushed of struggles with his place in society.

Story:
As I mentioned the story here is unique. You're not in a situation where I hate this and must get my revenge on it like other action/adventure games. There is a tale of revenge here, but you determine how that plays out. I will say though that happiness is somewhat elusive for your character in this game, but he still has people he cares about at the end. The choices you make with Niko Bellic determine his suffering more than anything it seems. It has a story as I mentioned that transcends games more than any other game I can think of.

Graphics:
Not the best ever, but the style works. Sometimes enemies can be hard to see among surroundings, but that's true in real life. Sure it would be easier if they wore neon colors when against dark backgrounds, but that doesn't seem likely.

Sound:
Cool soundtrack, and the dialogue is excellent. Not just among characters, but the faceless citizens make the game feel alive as well.

Gameplay:
The driving and physics take a little getting used to, but it's fairly easy after all of that. Although, when you play the missions you get the feeling that you're character is a pretty inept criminal. He can't accomplish a simple delivery job without having to kill people, which luckily for him is his forte. There's plenty of stuff to do on the side. The online is okay, but if you get lag it's awful. The different modes are all right but the meat of the game is the offline single player.

All in all I give it 9/10. Best story I've seen in a game. Sure we all want to embark on quests to save the princess/kingdom or fight of the horde of whatever at times, and that's great because games should be an enjoyable little diversion, but this resonates more than any of those. It's a story too long to be a movie and feels natural as a game. It's not really generic either. It's worth it just for the story.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/08/09

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)