Review by 03J

"A lot of nice new features in this Grand Theft Auto game"

Grand Theft Auto 4 for the Xbox360 was released near the end of April in 2008. Grand Theft Auto 4 is the next Grand Theft Auto game in the series for a home console since Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Grand Theft Auto 4 is a lot of fun to play through. Some things in the game did change to make things easier but other things in the game changed to make things more realistic. One advantage in Grand Theft Auto 4 is that taxis will drive you to places for a small cab fare. That does make things easier then driving the cab yourself. Another feature new in this game is that you keep your guns after you die which was included in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas but only after a certain girl was fond of you. However in Grand Theft Auto 4, this feature of keeping your guns after you die is something you're allowed from the start of the game. Another feature that makes the game easier is if you're low on health, you can either call an ambulance from your cell phone and pay nearly a thousand dollars or go to a diner or fast food restaurant and restore your health with one burger for one dollar. However if you're trying to get away from the cops and you run into a restaurant, cops will follow you into the restaurant instead of waiting outside like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. That does make things harder but at least it feels more realistic. As for the difficulty in the missions themselves, they start off easy but near the end of the game, they can be very hard in difficulty and seem impossible at first but those missions that seem impossible just require a lot of practice and then you will realize the mission was far from impossible. One complaint I do have about missions though are sometimes (further in the game) that they can start spur of the moment when you did not expect it to. That does make things harder if you were playing the game before you had to leave for work.

Like some of the missions in this game, the controls are very easy to pick up. I did not experience one problem with the controls playing this game whether it was executing the controls or learning the controls.

The story in the game is surprising because the story is not what it seems to be when the game first starts. You play as Miko who meets with his cousin Roman to start life in Liberty City which has changed from the last time Miko remembered it. However after a certain mission, Miko reveals the real reason on why he came to Liberty City. From there the story expands and incorporates people you did missions for. Another feature that was new to the game is when you're sent to kill someone, you get to make the choice of either killing the person like you were told or letting the person live. Also when two people tell you to kill the other, You get to make the choice on who to kill, something I do not remember being in the other Grand Theft Auto games.

The graphics and sound department is not that amazing. The sound is okay and gets the job done because I don't have any complaints about the sound. The graphics are another story because they are okay but in some places, it is very hard to see on certain roads whether it be day or night. Also when you get to the first clothes store, you are not going to want to buy as many clothes as you did in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. However I would be lying if I did not admit that there are better clothing stores to go to when you progress in the game. Also another feature that helps you in this game is the GPS System put into this game. In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, you had a little target you could put on your map, but on Grand Theft Auto 4, you not only get that target but a trail to follow so you know the best way to get where you have to go.

The single player story mode alone took over sixty-five hours to beat and I still have almost all the extra side missions to do. Of course some of the time you spend either on dates or hanging out with a friend but most of those activities, you can turn down. The Multi-player option of the game just adds to the replayability you get when you play Grand Theft Auto 4.

I have to give this game an 8 out of 10. While this game did add some nice features that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas did not have, Grand Theft Auto 4 still had some minor problems. I do recommend anyone that liked Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to pick up Grand Theft Auto 4.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/29/09

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)