Review by sravankb

"Jack of all trades, Master of none"

Let me start with the good points - the story, the characters, and the massive content. The characters have been very well framed, their voice acting is top-notch. You actually care about some of the characters and want them to win. The story is pretty good, too. You want to know what is going to happen next in the main storyline. The only issue is that the side-quests are usually indistinguishable from the main missions.

Now, let's move on to the gameplay.

1. Transport - THE most important feature of any open-world game. If there isn't a fun way to go around town, no point of the open-ended nature. I personally thought that the cars handle like crap. Yeah, it is somewhat realistic, but the suspension on most cars is severely exaggerated. Most people will claim that it takes some time to get used to it, after which it is fun. This is sort of a nonsensical viewpoint. The only reason you gave this game a second chance is because it is GTA. If an EA game did this, you'd think they were flipping crazy.

2. Combat / Controls : There IS an auto-aim system. But it is so broken, it is seriously ridiculous. You can't change targets quickly. Your character always seems to take too long to stop, too clumsy to move around. The MAJOR issue for me was the cover system. It is WAY too slow, and it gets really annoying because it slows the game's pace.

3. Missions : This is where it goes really bad. First of all, there are no checkpoints. Developers, please understand this : not having checkpoints does not make a game hard. It makes a game EXTREMELY frustrating. This means that if you die, you will have to drive around the same areas, again and again. Now, most missions are really easy, but some of them really need checkpoints. Also, most missions are just these three steps - get a car, drive there, and kill this guy(s). Yeah, it gets repetitive really quick.

Another good thing this game has going is the sheer amount of content. You'd be amazed at how much stuff, like plays, TV shows, radio shows, songs, etc. that this game has. It borders on insane. Most of it is quite satirical, and is genuinely funny. The only problem that I have with this is that these are things that I could watch/ listen to anytime I want (on YouTube or something). It doesn't feel like it should be the selling point of a game.

The last word is that it has a lot of gameplay styles, but none of them are good by themselves. If you want refined, polished games, you might not want to play this because despite its sheer amount of stuff to do, there is not much that is fun.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/09

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)