Review by wolverinefan

"Such a good idea but done poorly"

Turning Point had such a stellar idea it would figure they would fudge it up along the way. Imagine a world where we lost World War II and the Nazi's have started to invade North America. Pretty interesting idea.

The problem is that they take every single cliche, hamper it all down with bad everything and then make the game so glitchy it isn't worth even a rental. I'm jumping ahead of myself though.

Graphically the game looks like it belongs on the PS2. The textures are non-existent and the levels themselves feel underwhelming with roofs, London houses and trains. Not only that but the enemies all look alike. The smoke and explosions are also poorly done, as if I was watching a Sci-fi original movie.

Voice work is your typical fair. They must have a specific group that is used for these games because it always sound the same. The music is so forgettable that despite the fact I just played for a few hours, I don't even remember the music. Guns sound okay, explosions are less than impressive.

The game even has an odd control setup. left bumper is run, right bumper is gernade. Left trigger is aim and right trigger is fire. A is jump, B is melee, Y is to duck/crawl and to be hoenst the view doesn't even change so I couldn't figure out that it actually allowed me to duck. The aiming with the right stick is a bit sporadic and overly sensitive.

The game play itself is as stale as it comes. You travel along linear paths with no ounce of moving beyond it and yet I would constantly get confused because and lost because doors magically open and the game constantly tells you that you're objective has changed but no vocal announcement, just a text message and you have to pause to actually see what the game wants you to do next.

The game really just has you ducking and firing and then moving along these linear paths. The AI is rather brain dead and they tend to run in circles. The amount of damage they deal seems to be random and based on the area, not weapon or actual shot.

Granted I only played through half of the game but it was just so poorly done. I died a number of times due to me getting stuck in debris and walls. Not only that but the game uses a terrible check point system and one would think you'd have a check point before the train with 6 snipers but instead that segment is in the middle of a rather large area and dying there due to the game randomly shoving a sniper rifle of my own and just telling me to wing it just wasn't a smart idea on the developers part.

The game features on-line play but it's for deathmatchs only and due to the game flopping so hard I doubt it's life is all that action packed now and I doubt if it ever will be. So we get a short campaign and a half assed on-line factor as well.

I can't recommend this as rental or a purchase. It just isn't worth while and I can think of at least 10 other shooters that are better than this released in the past year. This is right up there with the Outfit and Front lines as the worst of the past 12 months.

Story - 8/10
Graphics - 4/10
Sound - 4/10
Control - 7/10
Game Play - 5/10
Replay Value - 4/10

Final Score - 3/10

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 04/15/08

Game Release: Turning Point: Fall of Liberty (US, 02/26/08)