Review by protools1983

"Rock and roll aint noise pollution, its a must have title!!!!"

Guitar Hero II is (obviously) the second installment of the Guitar Hero series by Red Octane. Except this time it has been re-tuned and polished for the XBOX360 video game system. This time around it packs over 70 classic tracks from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Everything from Alice in Chains “Them Bones” to the classic “Freebird” by Lynard Skynard.

Gamplay- 9/10- This is a “rhythm” style game so all you basically do is hit the corresponding button on the Guitar controller neck when that color is in the right spot on the screen. That being said this is neither boring nor easy to do. The “X-Plorer” guitar controller that comes packaged with the game plays silky smooth. The fret buttons, strum bar, and whammy bar all perform perfectly.

Audio- 10/10- Everything audio in this game totally rocks. From the guitar feedback sounds while navigating menus to the perfectly mastered rock tracks. The crowd you are playing for will either cheer for you when your rockin out or boo you off stage when you……are not. Some songs have been rerecorded for this game and many are covers not the actual songs. I personally think they did a great job on the covers but my only complaint would be the vocalist they got for “Killing in the name of” by Rage Against the Machine, nobody pulls of those vocals like Zach. All in all the entire audio department is VERY solid.

Visuals-9/10- Honestly you won't be looking at much but colored dots moving down a fret board but everything in this game really shines. The art design is really well done with a kind of cartoon style. The onstage animations are hilarious. The art on all of the menu screens are awesome as well. Absolutely no slow down, ever.

Hardware-9/10- Guitar Hero II comes packaged with the X-plorer guitar. I picked it up and instantly felt at home with it. I play real guitar so I was used to the hand positions and and holding the guitar. Some have complained of cramps and awkwardness but with practice you will be rockin out in no time. There have been reports of defective whammy bars but this problem has been singled out to a small percentage of guitars and the manufacturers warranty will cover it anyhow. My guitar works perfectly I should add.

Overall-9/10- I don't ever give games a 10/10 because I do not believe in the “perfect” game but Guitar Hero II is one of the best out there hands down. This is my first rhythm style game and I am absolutely in love with it. With Microsoft Achievements and downloadable content from XBOX LIVE this is well worth the money. Rock and roll aint never gonna die!!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/10/07