Review by FireEmblemXD

"The Grim Reaper forced me to do this..."

Ah Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero. Never really caught my interest. But when my dad said he'd get it for me for free...well let's just say I didn't exactly say no. BOY was it worth it...

Gameplay was very enjoyable. You see, the are four different levels of difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard, Expert). Easy and Medium are alright but Hard is a jump. Don't even get me started on Expert (I can only play a few songs). Also you got to choose your character and customize their guitars. You can also unlock guitarists (My personal favorite is the grim reaper). You also a graded, with 1 star being the lowest (if that's possible) and 5 golden stars being the highest (100% played). On each level, it gets harder and harder to master songs. You also get a score. The longer the song, the higher you get (Depending on the percentage of notes you played). You also have a Star Power Meter as well as an ability called Star Power. When you see a chain of notes shaped like a star, you get star power if you are able to complete that chain. During a long note shaped like a star, you can use your tweak bar, which allows you to gain more star power. When you get more than half of the container full, you are able to use Star Power. Simply lift your guitar up in a vertical position to activate it. If you a X1 multiplier on (10 note chain) it will become X2. This also applies for the other multipliers (X2-X4, X3-X6, X4-X8). There are also two advanced techniques that you should master before you try hard. They are called hammer-on's and pull-off's. Mastering these techniques will help you complete expert on the tough songs (Phsycobilly Freakout being the toughest for me personally). They're eight levels of songs and you get money based on how well you play them (only on Medium-Expert). A new feature from one allows you to play Bass (only on practice). The game also allows you to download songs off of X-Box Live. Overall, the gameplay is one of the most unique I've seen.

Story: ?/?

Is there really a story? You just create a band, play songs, buy albums, guitars etc. and rock on.

The graphics for this game are amazing. You really can't notice them while your playing, but once you get to look at them, they're fantastic. Everything is clear while standing out. Every characters note board (where the notes come at you from) are unique. The graphics for Free Bird are probably some of the best I've ever seen on a video game. Well done Harmonix.

Did you expect anything less? Obviously if you're playing the guitar then you'll have singing accompany it. The songs on each level were perfect choices for this game. You can also buy other songs from the Shop.

Replay Value: Moderately High

Overall:

BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!! It's well worth the 90 bucks (If you have the guitar). I'd say well done Harmonix, and we will miss you. Thank y'all.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/04/07