Review by wolverinefan

"More of the same"

I'm not big on these shooting games. And to be honest, most of them are pretty much the same. However, I did enjoy the original Advance Warfighter. How does this sequel hold up? Does Ubisoft bring enough to the table this time around to make this a worthy purchase? Read on!

Following just a few days (hours?) after the original game our hero and his team finds themselves still in Mexico and with a new problem at hand. I won't go on from there but if you played the first you know where the plot is going. It's nothing special but it does get the job done and while unrealistic, the connection with the original is good. Maybe a bit too much like an episode of 24.

I think Advance Warfighter was one of the best looking 360 games out there. With the sequel ubisoft didn't really change much so character models and the locations all look really good but still on par with the previous game. What's new is the weather and the time shifting. It's just mind blowing to see dusk start to set in. This is the kind of thing we need to see in games. Why should it just suddenly turn dark, why not have the transitions? Either way it's cool but adds nothing to the game except making it just a bit more real.

The sound in the game is good again as well. Same voice actors seem to be here which is a plus. The sound effects are really good and the music, while not overly impressive, it does get the job done.

Control in the game has been tweak a little bit. You can quickly change weapons instead of going through a little menu. You can also see through the eyes of your team and I found it way less convoluted this time around. A few things still feel kind of clunky but I don't see how else they could pull it off.

I'll say it again but if you've played the original than this plays exactly the same besides some tweaks. The game takes place over a set number of missions. They are pretty much head to X location, defend it, or move on to next location. It never really varies much besides once or twice.

The enemy AI is pretty good and even on the easiest setting they take cover and dodge. But it is an easier mode so they aren't as aggressive. It seems to be the perfect blend of it all. Like most shooters of late your health kind of recharges if you take cover.

Speaking of taking cover, that's one thing that does seem to be missing from the game. I know Gears of War was based around the idea and maybe this game was developed before it came out but come on, Rainbow Six Vegas uses it and that is a game by Ubisoft and it came out a while before this one did.

The game itself is fairly long. It offers some really good achievements this time around as well. Sadly I was unable to play on-line. Not for a lack of trying though but if you don't have a mic, then you'll always be booted. Of course that's if you ever connect to the server. It would take up to 3 minutes to connect only to tell me the spot is no longer available. I'm sorry but this game is a few months old, I shouldn't be running into this problem. From asking around it seems the on-line play is a little more polished this time around and isn't as easy to cheat at either.

For those who loved the original, go get this one because it's more of the same. I rented the game and wasn't overly thrilled with it. It was too much of the same thing and I really wasn't in the mood. I expect a little from ubisoft because when a sequel is made, it should add to the game play in some way but instead it's minor unimportant things that are added and nothing new.

Story - 7/10