Review by TonyPerez

"A game that could have been great."

Aliens: Colonial Marines

After playing Aliens Colonial Marines, there is one word that can perfectly describe what it's like. Unfinished, it's the word that kept popping up in my head while playing through the campaign and the multiplayer. This game honestly feels like a beta of the real thing and it's a shame. I see a lot of potential in the game but everything that was tried just seems like it didn't meet the mark.

The campaign was a letdown. There are a lot of reasons why I was never really pulled into the story. First off, the dialogue in this game is mediocre. It's hard to take what the characters are saying seriously when it sounds so cheesy. Often times I felt the lines could have been delivered better and there are phrases that quickly became overused. Secondly, the A.I. in this game is not too bright. Both actions of the enemies and my allies just left me confused. My teammates will take cover and shoot when there isn't anything to shoot at. Whenever we completed an objective sometimes they would be unaware that we had to move on. So they would just stand there unless and reload the checkpoint. The human enemies would randomly run up to your teammates without even shooting them. After all that it kind of lost my interest. Sadly, after just recently completing the game I would have a hard time explaining to you what the story was about.

It doesn't get any better in the graphics department. In fact, this might be the game's weakest point. There is an argument that can be said that graphics aren't what make a game good. Although I agree with this, it still plays an important role in making you feel connected with the game. Unfortunately, the graphics do not feel very consistent. There are times where I like the way a certain area looks but then there are environments that have me thinking if the game was even made in this generation. Not to mention there are a lot of texture pop-ins. It was so bad that there are even times where an object would never fully load into detail. This would really throw me off because a part of a mission wouldn't fit with the theme of the game.

The multiplayer is what makes this game worth something. After I beat the story I spent the majority of my time online. Now don't get me wrong. There is some work that has to be done for it to be a quality multiplayer experience. Like I said before, everything about this game just feels like it could have been better. There are some fun multiplayer features that just doesn't feel quite complete. For example, there are weapon skins, attachments, and character appearances that can be customized. However, there isn't a lot of variation within these categories. You'll probably unlock what you want within the earlier ranks. What I did enjoy though were the game types. The one that will quickly stand out is “Escape”. It has the Left 4 Dead style where one team plays as marines and the other plays as the aliens. The marines have to get to the end of the level while the Aliens try and stop them. “Escape” along with the rest of the playlist would have been even better if the developers took the time to polish the game. It was still fun but it would have felt better if it didn't look and feel so buggy.

Although what I have said sounds very negative I still did enjoyed playing Aliens: Colonial Marines. It was fun to shoot the iconic guns of the Alien franchise. And the multiplayer will be a good time waster to fool around in with your friends. I can understand if you're a die-hard Aliens fan then you'll probably be disappointed but I think this game is at least worth a rental.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/19/13

Game Release: Aliens: Colonial Marines (US, 02/12/13)