Review by wolverinefan

"Average action adventure game"

Meet the Robinsons is based on the Disney film of the same name. I originally rented this game and didn't care for it. I then bought it for some easy achievement points at a lovely price of $5. Is it worth checking out though?

Wilbur accidentally allows for the Robinson's time machine to be stolen so he must now find a way to get it back before his dad finds out. Fans of the film will most likely be annoyed as it seems to skip half of the movie and ultimately makes no sense if you've seen the film. It's a shame too because the movie was actually pretty good.

Graphically this game isn't anything special. The levels, while detailed enough feel as if they forgot to populate them. It's kind of annoying because you'll be entering all kind of interesting rooms but in the end they feel very barren.

The game has full voice work and it does seem like the films cast provides the voice. The music was nothing special but it got the job done. Sound effects also didn't do much for me and just weren't interesting for a game that offers futuristic items.

Control in the game is very simple. Anyone who has played the most recent Zelda games will recognize the auto jump. Not really sure why they included it because there isn't a whole lot of jumping in the game. Other wise you just shoot stuff and interact with items. It's easy to switch item and if a weapon has more than one attack it's easy to initiate any of them.

The beginning of Meet the Robinsons feels like a giant fetch quest and to be honest it is. As you progress past that the game feels more like an adventure title which is something we need this gen.

The game really becomes puzzle heavy early on and instead of being interesting it becomes a bore because most of the puzzles are overly simplistic. In the Robinsons lab you'll need to hit buttons to cause walkways to work. Good idea but once you clear that floor and reach the next it's the same thing again and I don't just mean the type of puzzle but the puzzle is exactly the same.

And then the game hits a combat heavy zone and while it's fairly simple for a while you will run into enemies that require you to burrow under ground and then uppercut them and then shot them. it's simple while one on one but if more of them are near you'll be in for a tough time and the AI can be relentless sometimes. So it can be a little too hard for a kid's game.

The game itself is fairly long which surprised me. The achievements while easy are also a pain. I say this because the game has a point of no return and it's easy to miss a number of achievements that you might have been close to getting, like I was. Once you beat the game it saves over your old save so you can't even fight the last boss again. That's just lame and annoying. The game does offer two different types of mini games though. One is a shooter which is fun but a bit slow at first. The other feels like Pong almost but is also fun and has a few unlockables to obtain.

Meet the Robinsons isn't a great game but for a cheap price it's a nice diversion. Kids will obviously enjoy it the most but fans of the adventure genre looking for a quick and cheap fix should look no further at the moment.

Story - 6/10
Graphics - 7/10
Sound - 7/10
Control - 8/10
Game Play - 7/10
Replay Value - 3/10

Final Score - 6/10

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/24/07

Game Release: Disney's Meet the Robinsons (US, 03/27/07)