Review by meat1337

"If you have no skill, you'll love this game. If you like being rewarded for being good , however, you've got a big surprise."

Let me start off by saying that the original Gears of War was, without a doubt, the best game ever released. It had a solid campaign with good mechanics and a hardcore multiplayer that took untold amounts of skill to master. However, I can't say the same for the sequel. You move like a friggin' tank! It's so much slower, and more of a camp-fest. Instead of going through the game mechanics (sound, graphics, gameplay, etc.), I'm going to got through according to the gameplay, campaign, and multiplayer.

Gameplay - 8/10
If that above paragraph has led you in the wrong direction, I apologize, I don't really hate the changes they made, in fact in the campaign most of them are good. The meatshield idea was genius and so was the interrupting cover mechanic. I'm not really going to go into this, but suffice it to say, that the numerous gameplay tweaks were alright at best.

Campaign - 7/10
Although it can't live up to the first game's amazing campaign, it does have a better storyline than Gears 1. However, I can't commend the use of SO many gimmick missions. Like the Centar tank driving, the Brumak riding, and the crappy hail part. Gears one's SP was good because it was so replayable, after beating it on insane, I'm never going to play it again.

Multiplayer - 3/10
Here's where Gears 2 crash's and burns. Normally a multiplayer game rewards the good players for using skillfull weapons (sniper, shotgun), and punishes players for sucking. In Gears one, there's a balance system in play. It's not hard to kill a shotgun rusher with the lancer, but they had to make it even easier by adding in stopping power for noobs, basically rewarding people for using the lancer (thankfully, they banned it from MLG, you can only use the hammerburst). As if the stopping power wasn't enough, they made the shotgun horrible even at point blank range! They made it impossible to wall-bounce now because of the slow shotgun response, thus taking out more skill-factor. The only good thing they did was take out the active reload insta-kill for the sniper. Too bad the sniper is too slow now... Also Gears 2 is a Regression from the original becuase it doesn't even let you choose your map or gametype! That's garbage, I might as well go play CoD: WaW.

Bottom line, if you like skill in your multiplayer, don't buy this game. The hype was enormous, and sad to say, I bought it. I haven't been this let down since Halo 3. For hardcore players like me, this game is a travesty. Screw casual gamers, they're ruining good games now. I've got every achievement for Gears one, and I won't be getting the multiplayer ones for Gears 2.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 12/02/08

Game Release: Gears of War 2 (Limited Edition) (US, 11/07/08)