Review by Shananagainz

"Get To Tha Choppah!"

Now, I'm a fan of blood and gore, and I am also a fan of Gears of War, to an extent. I was informed of the franchise by a friend of mine, and I asked if I could borrow his copy. After playing it for a few hours, I was wondering why he wanted to give it up. I immediately fell in love with it, and bought my own copy. When I heard that a new game was coming out, I nearly screamed. I started playing the first game like crazy, not stopping for anything.

When Gears of War 2 came out, I made sure a friend of mine got it the day it came out, so that way I got to play it. After a few days, I obtained my own copy. It seems that now would be a good time to write up a review.

Story- The story seamlessly melds with the first one, taking place a couple of months after the Lightmass Bomb detonation. The story follows Delta Squads quest to confront the Locust Queen, and destroy the center of the Locust forces. This game also focuses more on Dom's search for his wife, Maria. More characters are introduced, such as Dizzy, Tai, and Benjamin Carmine. Baird, and the Cole Train return and fight along side Marcus and Dom again. During the events of the game, horrifying discoveries are made, and many sacrifices occur.

As far as the story goes, I give it a 10/10.

Gameplay- Gameplay really hasn't changed from the first one, but there are new mechanics added to make the game easier. Things such as the Boom Shield, the Mortar cannon, and the Mulcher minigun, make killing so much easier. Revival has also been tweaked, instead of staying still while you slowly faced death, you can now move around, either towards shelter, or an ally that can revive you, even if they are a bot! That's right, fans of the original Gears of War will be pleased to find out that the bots in-game can do more than just run around and fire three shots every five minutes, while getting themselves killed. Horde is also an excellent add-on. Horde is like the police from Grand Theft Auto. They come wave after wave trying to kill the COG soldiers that are hiding. Up to five players can join in the festivities and kill of every type of Locust there is, but like the original, only two players can play splitscreen.

Overall the gameplay receives a 10/10.

Graphics- Not only has Epic put in more thing to play, they also made it better looking. Players that played Gears of War 1 will notice that Epic perfected the shading technique that they were talking about. Now instead of it being unreasonably dark in a hallway, and too bright in the sun, the shading has been perfectly revamped so that way it wouldn't be a problem. Other than that, they look a lot more softer.

Graphics receive a 10/10.

Multiplayer- This is where the game sucks. The beloved system in Gears of War 1 is now completely redone, and unfortunately, it was for the worse. Loading times are long, you can't mute annoying people, and you can't boot people. Luckily, you can still make party's. There is news that Epic is currently redoing the system. Let's just hope it will be better than what we have now.

As for now, I have to give Multiplayer a 5/10, due to the fact they actually have multiplayer.

Extra Content- The extra content in this game is actually pretty good. If you played and beaten Gears of War 1, and have collected at least 10 COG tags, then you unlock the other three characters that are not present in Gears of War 2: Lieutenant Minh Young Kim, Anthony Carmine, and General RAAM. You can also unlock the new characters Tai, Ben, and Dizzy.

Extra Content gets a 10/10, just because I like extra goodies!

Overall- This game has a lot of things to do, and if Epic patches up the multiplayer, then we would have the crystal skull of games. But that is just my opinion. But unlike other people, I really don't let one problem interfere with the good parts of a game like Gears of War 2

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/09

Game Release: Gears of War 2 (US, 11/07/08)