Review by Galactus21

"A War Without End"

Gears of War were a fantastic third person shooter filled with hours of action pack shooting, beautiful graphics, and countless hours of online battles. Gears of War 2 offer more of the same. Given how the first was such a great game, there really isn't any complains for recycling the same formula. The only minor gripes that are present this time around that was not around during the first game is the game's graphical engine isn't quite as "awe" impressive as the first and the controls aren't quite as slick this time around. With that said, Gears of War 2 is still without a doubt a fantastic experience. The game has plenty of action, mayhem, and explosions, which gives shooting fans plenty to love.

Tide of War

The story continues to follow a powerful soldier name Marcus Fenix. Marcus, someone who has the bodybuilder physique, is your typical hardcore soldier that the media portrays. After the end of the first game, it appeared that the Locust was done for, but we all knew better than that (especially considering this cash cow). In the second game, Marcus and crew are still around and doing what they do best. Wielding chainsaws, and blowing
heads away. The story for Gears of War 2 is simple. There's a ton of bad guys, you have tons of crazy weapons, and the only logical step remaining is to destroy everything in your path. That's what Gears does, and it does it well.

Before jumping into the many positives about Gears of War 2, there are a few things that I felt weren't quite as good as the first. The two biggest gripe I had about the game was that I felt the controls were a bit more sluggish this time around. There are instances where I dodge for cover or try to swiftly maneuver to a nearby cover, only to find myself doing something I didn't want to. Now these instances are rare and don't detract
from the experience too much, but are still noticeable. Another issue I had was the final moments of the game. Without spoiling too much, any resemblance of an epic fight to close out the fight was not present.

Gears of War 2 offers a long, action packed adventure that has plenty of thrills and plenty of gore. As far as action third person shooters, Gears of War 2 simply does a fantastic job. The action sequences were intense. You'll find on many occasions where enemies will come out you in the masses and you'll simply find yourself having a blast mowing them down. The game's difficulty felt just about right as well. The variety of weapons really made this game shine. Whether you wanted to let DOM take it hard to the enemy, as you sat back and sniped, or charge in and split some baddies in two with your chainsaws, the game simply provides tons of fun. The level design for the most part felt cohesive as well. The game also forces you to use a lot of strategy. I did not have many opportunities to run and gun. Most of the time, I was forced to sit back in cover and attack. Other times, I had to maneuver myself to a better position to ward off flanking enemies or well positioned enemies. This really enhanced the game for me.

The graphics for the most part were quite good. Albeit, not as impressive as when Gears of War first came out, the graphics in Gears of War 2 were highly detailed as well. Watching blood splatter everywhere as you rev that chainsaw through your enemies is still a sight to behold. Character designs I'll admit are a bit outrageous. All that muscle would make it hard to roadie run! With that said however, the character movements and facial expressions were designed quite well. Voice acting for the most part was quite good and reflective of the ongoing war. In addition, the musical score was quite solid. Although it never really enhanced the dire situation that Gears tries to portray, it does a good enough job.

All in all, Gears of War 2 is a great game. There are not too many negatives to say about it. It's not quite as good as the first, but still a wonderful experience. There were a few negatives I felt were present that was not present during the first. Despite that though, there is still lots of fun to be had. Gears of War 2 offer a great single player campaign, as well as boasting an online mode for longevity. With another solid notch under its belt, I eagerly await what the Gears team has in store for us with Gears of War 3. If you're looking for action, look no further...Gears or War 2 fits that bill.

Gameplay - 9
Graphics - 9
Sound - 9
Value - 9
Overall - 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/15/10

Game Release: Gears of War 2 (US, 11/07/08)