Review by mythical_guy

"Time- S Style Points- S Orbs Found- S Fingers Fallen of- SSS"

So, yeah, I played the other Devil May Cry's. Of course, the first one had me hooked for a few months. The second one made me want to throw my PS2 out of the window, and the third one frustrated me to tears. So then I looked at all the trailers and reviews of this game, and most of them were mad at all the backtracking of the game. I'll say it now. If you hate backtracking, save up for Fable 2 or something. But, seriously, is this game worth it?

Gameplay 9/10

The gameplay in this game is awesome. With hundreds of different combos, awesome swords and unbelieveable grapple moves, the combat is like the first devil may cry's, and, at the same time, its so much better. The boss levels are breathtaking. You run through levels, fighting off demonic zombies, wyverns, even these big soldier-type winged demons. Its also platform game that would make the Ratchet and Clank series look like they are wearing training pants. But this is where it gets frustrating. There are sections of the game where you have use your hero, Nero, to grab these blue orbs to get to a higher distance. You have to do this in one part of the game where the ceiling is covered with spikes. Now, these orbs are very close to the ceiling, and every time you hit the ceiling, you fall down in front of hordes of enemies and have to keep on fighting them until the time you don't fall. I, myself, had to do it fourteen times. And, on the first eleven levels, you go through different environments. In the last nine levels, you go through all of them again. But, still, the combat saves everything from failure.

Story 7/10

Okay, so, in my opinion, Capcom is known for bad storytelling. The story is about a guy called Nero who has this weird arm with demonic powers and lives in a town where Sparda is worshipped. Dante comes and attacks the church where Sparda is worshipped for some reason you won't find out until close to the end of the game. So he sets out to get revenge on Dante and finds out that some old guy is trying to resurrect a Savior. Don't ask me what it is. You find out the rest yourself.

Graphics 10/10

The graphics in Devil May Cry 4 are beautiful. Clean textures, vibrant worlds, awesome character models, they all rock. The frame rate is also good, and didn't slow down when I played it.

Replayability 8/10

There are many difficulty modes in Devil May Cry 4, and whenever you beat the game, you get bonus art and videos. So, yeah, maybe its worth it if your a fanboy.

Conclusion 9/10

This game is probably the best platform action game in stores today. Its definetely worth checking out, and I would just say go buy it. Demons are waiting to be slain.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/08

Game Release: Devil May Cry 4 (US, 02/05/08)