Review by Kashell Triumph

"Do you like my style?"

The Devil May Cry series has made video game history due to Dante being an alleged "bad-ass" who fights in style and gets the hot girls. Really, I never saw the appeal. The first game had awful camera issues, the second game was a complete downgrade from the first, and the third game had a challenge that seemed border-line unfair. So, why did I pick up Devil May Cry 4? To be honest, because I needed a game to play that would not take long to complete. While the game does have a few problems, I can easily say that DMC4 is the best of the bunch and that I am glad I gave this game a chance.

Nero and the Hero.
A young knight named Nero, with features identical to the legendary Dante, witnesses the murder of Sanctus, the Order of the Sword's leader. The culprit is none other than Dante, the legendary Devil Hunter. Has Dante taken the side of the demons or is there something of a greater evil afoot? Nero will set off to get answers from Dante on a demon-slaying journey.

The game starts with you controlling Nero, then Dante, and finishing with Nero. Along the way, you will see faces new and old. Both will either help or hinder you in your quest to uncovering the truth. While the story is nothing exciting, the characters you meet up with are some of the more diabolical seen in a video game. The new hero on the block, Nero, seems somewhat of a prick at first, but he eventually grows on you.

Swords and Styles. Guns and Roses.
Nero and Dante both have a variety of skills at their disposal as they combat the evil demons. Nero's sword, the Red Queen, can be charged up to unleash fire attacks. He also can acquire a wide variety of stylish sword moves. Nero's gun, the Blue Rose, can charge up attacks and unleash a destructive bullet attack on a foe. As you progress, you will have the option of giving Nero a variety of evasive and jumping maneuvers, as well. The key feature that Nero has is the Devil Arm. With the push of a button, Nero can grab a far away enemy and perform a devastating throw attack on it. These powerful moves are often key in the impressive, though often recycled, boss battles. Nero's Devil Arm has the ability to be upgraded, too. Also, at a certain point in the game, Nero can enter Devil Trigger mode and do more damage with all of his attacks.

Dante's style system is back from DMC3. With the push of a button, you can make him more proficient with swords, guns, blocking, or evading. Dante acquires a variety of weapons as he goes on his journey. He starts with the sword, Rebellion, and his guns Ebony, Ivory, and Coyote-A, but he eventually earns powerful gauntlets, a gun that can transform itself into a variety of forms, and an enchanted sword set that unleashes explosive roses. Again, he can obtain new evasive and jumping maneuvers as he progresses and he begins with the ability to transform into a might demon to lay waste to all foes in his path. While he lacks Nero's Devil Arm, Dante's attacks are far more powerful than Nero's.

Both characters are an absolute blast to control. As you beat enemies left and right, you will try to earn stylish points. Doing this will allow you to buy new moves. Thus, trying to fight in style is key to success. As you defeat enemies and smash boxes, you will find red orbs. With these, you can buy new items at the shop. Each stage has plenty of both, so you will be able to find a wide variety of red orbs. The slick, easy to use controls are effortless to pick up and play. Furthermore, those scared of and scarred by the difficulty found in DMC3 will be happy to see that the challenge has been toned down. As you beat the game, you will be able to unlock higher levels of difficulty that will challenge any action gamer.

However, there are a few problems with the controls. The camera can be a bit jumbled at times, and it is not always clear where your next destination lies. Some of the regular enemies are unnecessarily powerful and will cause you to waste your hard-earned and very expensive items. Despite these flaws, the game still manages to be fun and causes you to stay on your toes when surrounded by enemies.

Bringin' Sexy Back.
DMC4 is one of the best looking games I have ever played. The graphics are sharp, crisp, detailed, and fluid. The cut-scenes you witness, while a bit over the top, are some of the best looking movies I have ever laid eyes on. Those who have a hi-def TV will be in for a real treat. The demons also look cool, especially the towering bosses. Performing Nero's throw moves on these foes adds a good chunk of entertainment value. Finally, both heroes will be traveling through gorgeous architecture. All in all, DMC4 looks great.

Demon Drums.
While not as impressive as the visuals, the music and sound still add a good flavor to the game. Whenever you are up against a bunch of foes, a rock and roll theme plays that actually has me banging my head along with the beat. The sound effects are great; swords slashing through flesh and guns blasting holes in enemy heads come to mind. The voice acting was also good, with some credible and recognizable voice actors and actresses. Very few complaints here.

The Darkness Has Cleared.
When the game ends, you will be treated to a satisfying ending. You will also be treated to new levels of difficulty, extra art work, and extra features. With each difficulty completed, you will unlock even more bonuses. It only makes sense that you buy this game. While it is a bit short, it is full of replay value. Even if you were never big on DMC, like me, I still recommend this game. The game is fun, whether you are playing as Nero or Dante. Check out Devil May Cry 4, and save the world in style.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/08/08

Game Release: Devil May Cry 4 (US, 02/05/08)