Review by Mariofan314

"This is one of the greatest games I have ever played."

Devil May Cry 3 was a great game. Definitely one of the best games I have ever played. It is also the hardest game I have ever played. Well, actually, I have only played the special edition, but my statement stays true. Anyway, is Devil May Cry 4 as good as Devil May Cry 3? I think that Devil May Cry 4 is actually better.

However, Capcom has made quite a bold move with this game. Dante isn't the main character of Devil May Cry 4. Instead, the main character is a new guy named Nero. It worked out, since you get to also play as Dante later in the game anyway.

Graphics:

The least important aspect of any game. This game has incredible graphics. The cutscenes are awesome too. A huge improvement from Devil May Cry 3.

Sound/Music:

The sound is great, but music depends entirely on whether or not you like metal, since most songs in Devil May Cry are metal. If you like metal, then that is great for you. If you don't like it, it won't really bother you much anyway.

8/10

Controls:

Has there ever been a Devil May Cry game with bad controls? I don't think there has. It took me a very short amount of time to figure them out and I've never forgotten them. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that they might even be perfect. Dante's controls are perfect, like usual, and Nero's are similar.

Storyline:

The story is mediocre. In fact, it almost looks like something out of a Mario game (not that that's a bad thing, if you looked at my user name). However, it is a Devil May Cry game, so I didn't really have high expectations for the story anyway. Besides, it's better than what I'd expect from a Devil May Cry game, so I'll give it a good rating.

7/10

Gameplay:

Out every game I have ever played in my life, this game probably has the best gameplay. Dante's 4 styles from Devil May Cry 3 have returned, but now you can switch between them instantly, at almost any time. Nero doesn't have any styles, but he does have his right arm, the Devil Bringer. The Devil Bringer can pull enemies towards you and can do large amounts of damage with a Buster, which is an attack with the Devil Bringer that varies with each enemy. Like in the previous game, you can use red orbs to buy items. However, they no longer buy new moves. Instead, you buy new moves with proud souls. This makes things easier. For example, in Devil May Cry 3, if you have 20000 red orbs, and you want to buy Air Hike and a blue orb (for 10000 red orbs), you wouldn't be able to, since Air Hike costs 20000 red orbs. However, in Devil May Cry 4, you could buy Air Hike with your proud souls and the blue orb for the same price, and you'll have 10000 red orbs left over. Also, like any other Devil May Cry game (which doesn't include Devil May Cry 2), this game is a good challenge. However, it's not as hard as Devil May Cry 3.

Replay Value:

Completed the game on Devil Hunter? Try Son of Sparda or the Bloody Palace. Completed Son of Sparda? Try Dante Must Die or Heaven or Hell. Completed both of those? Try Hell and Hell. Completed that? Try getting S ranks in every mission, filling the health and Devil Trigger meters to maximum, buying all of Dante and Nero's moves, and getting all of the achievements. There is plenty to do in this game, and most of it will take a long time.

10/10

Overall:

10/10

Buy or Rent:

If you have played any of the other Devil May Cry games, then definitely buy it. If you have never played one, then rent it and if you like it, buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/26/08

Game Release: Devil May Cry 4 (US, 02/05/08)