Review by thewhyan

"Oh, you didn't pick up this game yet? Fine, don't rock out!"

The suspense killed me. After a good 11-months from Guitar Hero II being released for the PS2, I patiently waited the next installment, Guitar Hero III. Quick hits: it's fun, it's addicting, and it's a bit harder too. You're probably thinking, "Eh, this game isn't for me." Well, I suggest you read on, it's gonna get a bit interesting here.

Gameplay 8/10 - Yeah. Nothing really changed, pretty much. It pretty much had an identical engine to Guitar Hero II with the exception of some tweaks in the Hammer-Ons/Pull-Offs. In my opinion, HO/PO, were tweaked too much to the extent that it makes it easier to play songs. Now, that may sound good, but it doesn't make it realistic, not at all. The new HO/PO system also allows the player to be careless with their fingering, something Guitar Hero I and II tried to prevent. All in all, it's still not bad, but not any major improvements.

An addition has been made to the Guitar Hero series, Battle Mode. It's fun as hell and it's really fun when you play against a buddy. But, when they added this to Career Mode, I felt like it really shouldn't have been there. I mean, yeah it adds a bit of a variety, but it takes away the feel of just performing songs for your fans to enjoy. However, Battle Mode did add a lot of extra replayability for the future, and it's something to look forward too if you're new to the Guitar Hero series.

Graphics 10/10 - A significant change from Guitar Hero II, if you ask me. Everything looks crisp, from the crowd to the musicians to the venues. Everything was finely tuned, and very well done. The venue art was good, and the changes in character were also good. But, there's one thing that still puzzles me. What is up with that ugly generic singer? Man, he really messed up my playing sometimes.

Sound 9/10 - The grand daddy of this game. Sound. Let's see. The setlist was great, superb, and really fun. It wasn't the best setlist around, but it did provide us with 71 songs, all extremely interesting and unique. It's a level above Guitar Hero II's setlist, if you ask me. It's pretty good, and I enjoyed it, a lot.

But you're probably wondering, how come it's not a 10? Well, the new sound they added for missing a note is just ugly. It's terrible, and I hate it so much. I just wish I can just like delete it from the disc, but oh well.

Re-playability 10/10 - Yeah, you're gonna enjoy this game a lot. Even if you don't like the songs, you're gonna find yourself playing this game over and over and over again. Why? Online Mode is just amazing. The online feature enabled a versatile title that will satisfy many for the next big installment. You're gonna play this game until your hands fall off, or arm, either or, it's worth it. I enjoyed this game a lot, and I don't plan to put this game away.

Final Recommendation -If you're looking for a great multiplayer game, I suggest you buy the bundle, and keep yourself busy for the next few months. However, if you're just looking for a quick game to play, still buy it. I guarantee you that this game will somehow satisfy you, if you love rhythm games or not. Hopefully the music will make you happy, or just the game itself. But, by the end of this game, you will be rocking out!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/30/07

Game Release: Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (w/Guitar) (US, 10/28/07)