Review by Kendall19

"Does the third installment of the Guitar Hero games live up to the hype?"

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock is Activision's newest installment of the Guitar Hero series. This game offers hours of entertainment for all skill levels.

My brother bought the Xbox 360 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock bundle. I rushed to his house and waited outside his door for him to get home. The bundle came with the black Gibson Les Paul wireless guitar. It's a refreshing change from the original guitar.

Guitar Hero III opens with a scene of Slash playing his guitar on stage. His hair is hanging over his face. It's a really cool scene.

My brother and I played through the cooperative mode. The songs are substantially more difficult in this game than in the previous two. I found myself struggling and frequently questioning my rock status.

It is comforting to know that you can rely on your partner to get you through the tough segments of the song. For the most part, the Bass is easier to play than the guitar. Some songs use a rhythm guitar instead of a Bass.

The different sets throughout the game have original names and creative scenery. Most of the sets take place in a concert venue with appropriate songs, but the last set takes place in Hell and features some of the best metal music ever produced.

The single player mode has different songs and features intense boss battles in each set. You even battle Lucifer himself, or Lou, for short.

The game is visually more stunning than the previous two. The characters are more textured and the cinema scenes are entertaining. Between sets, you are subjected to an animated scene in which you receive an invitation to play at the next venue. The animation style is dark and nearly everyone appears malnourished.

The most noticeable improvement to this series is the song choice. Guitar Hero managed to obtain licenses for more popular songs and even convinced a few rock legends to be playable characters in the game. Among these are Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Slash of Guns and Roses.

As an added bonus, the game offers online game play so you can find out where you stand among the greatest players in the world. There are many bonus songs to be unlocked and four difficulties to keep you busy for hours. If you think you have what it takes, go play One by Metallica on Expert. This song is crazy!

Overall, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock is an excellent game. It is rated T for Teen, so it's a great way to keep a teenager busy. The game is popular among the high school audience and even college students. With Christmas around the corner, I couldn't think of a better gift.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/15/07

Game Release: Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (w/Guitar) (US, 10/28/07)