Review by leveledclassic

"Were not all born as finger wizards. Thats why they made Guitar Hero!"

Not every one was born gifted with the ability to be the lead guitarist of Megadeth, Metallica, or Avenged Sevonfold. But for us average joes there's Guitar Hero 3. If you liked the first two guitar heroes you'll like this one.

The biggest change from guitar hero 2 to 3(besides the songs) is the difficulty. #3 is faster than its brother and more difficult. Guitar Hero 2 was filled with quite a few obscure 80's songs but Guitar Hero 3 will have a lot of songs that will make you think, "Hey that song was on the radio today." Or "I used to love this song." Nearly all of these songs are by popular bands such as The Dead Kenedy's, Slipknot, Rage Against The Machine, Rise Against, Metallica, Iron Maiden, AFI, and even the Halo 2 theme Mjolnir mix. The thing I find ironic however is that the song in the commercial is content download. Thats right the song advertised isn't even in the game for people who do not have Xbox live.

The graphics in this game are very well done compared to Guitar Hero 2(Don't worry I won't score this game based on graphics) Your on screen avatar is very detailed and you have many outfit choices to pick from. I personally thought Judy Nails looked better with black hair and a camo corset. The other band members look only slightly better, the singer had more emphasis put into him and the bassist is no longer a blur. But the drummer, oh god the drummer. An overweight guy with very short shorts, a ripped up tee-shirt, and a stupid baseball cap. If I were the guitarist for a real band I would refuse to have a band mate dressed like that. The game has a slight story, you just do stuff real bands do with guitar battles with certain rock legends from time to time.

Oh yes the guitar battles... Those god awful guitar battles. In these you compete against an A.I. where you both play the same song at the same time and instead of star power you get weapon power ups that cause your opponents to mess up on a lot of their notes. The goal is to cause them to fail the song. You face off against the guy from Rage Against The Machine, and Slash from Guns n' Roses in these battles. These battles are incredibly difficult and frusterating because your opponent doesn't miss notes naturually. On easy and medium difficulty this is tedius but on hard and expert it's next to impossible.

Well that concludes my review because well because there's not really much more to say. Get this game, it's fun and you feel like a rock star.

Pros...
+Incredibly fun
+Songs your bound to know and love
+Never gets old.
+Good live play.
+Great song downloads
Cons...
-Frustrating at times
-Guitar battles royally suck
-That song Barracuda SUCKS!

Overall score 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/21/07

Game Release: Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (US, 10/28/07)