Review by imouttammo

"Wow, forget my last review, THIS IS AWESOME"

I rated this game based on my experience on playing it at my friend's house and my cousin's. Way too quick to judge. Me and my friend traded games and of course, I got guiyar hero 3 in exchange for my Rock Band (trade is only temporary). As I'm writing this I'm on hard mode with one song on the final tier to go (Raining Blood).

In short, here's pros and cons

Pros

-Amazing setlist superior to Rock Bands
-Challenging on the harder difficulties
-It's Guitar Hero, anyone can play
-Addicting
-Most tracks are from the original artist, no more crappy covers!
-You can go online and play people across the world.

Cons

-Of course, the challenge can also be bad. This is by far the hardest game out of the series
-Graphics are not exactly up to par with most other 360 games
-Not as much customization as Rock Band, as in character appearance.

I'll start with the setlist. Probably the best out of all the games. There's a good deal of metal, which I like. They've got classics like The Stones, Guns N' Roses, Cream, Black Sabbath, to heavy stuff like Iron Maiden, Slayer, and Slipknot, and then some newer stuff like The Killers and AFI.

In additon, there's bonus songs which you buy from money that you earn by playing gigs in Career Mode. They've also got some variety like Metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage, emo (i suppose) like Senses Fail, and some other bands I haven't check in on yet. AND there's downloadable songs, but I haven't bought any of these since I'm not keeping this game permanently. You can check out the whole setlist and all bonus songs (that just keep coming) on the internet, Wikipedia.com might be a good source. All in all, there should be something for everybody.

Gameplay, of course is the main focus, complemented by the music. I won't get into how to play the game. Obviously, theres different difficulties to play on. As you get farther into the game, songs progressively get harder and harder. For people who have played previous Guitar Heros, the game looks and feels familiar.

A new additon is Boss Battles. Tom Morello and Slash appear in this game as bosses. They've written their own compositions in which you and him do a guitar duel (in the game this is called Battle Mode). Pretty much, if you do bad enough, you fail. It gets competive, obviously. Play a streak of notes flawlessly and you gain a powerup which you use against your opponent to mess him up Likewise, they can do the same to you. Once you defeat a boss, you can buy them from the ingame store as a character. You can also play battle mode against your friends, which is pretty cool to try out.

Graphics are probably the thing I dont like about this game in comparison to other games. The game looks kind of sloppy but still looks pretty alright. I don't like the character selection as much as GH2's. I decided I hated all the male characters (aside from Slash) and I now use a girl with nothing on her torso but a bra and camo leather pants... stop looking at me like that... anyway, the graphics aren't so much to worry about since you're usuallly focusing on what notes you're supposed to be playing.

So, go out, buy this game, try it out, have fun.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/08, Updated 01/30/08

Game Release: Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (US, 10/28/07)