Review by wolverinefan

"Not a good way for the Live Arcade to start the year off"

I only saw the film Tron a little over a year ago. Not really my cup of tea but it was decent. I actually had no clue an arcade game existed so imagine my surprise when I saw this hit the Live Arcade. Is it worth it though?

Tron is made up of four missions per level if you will. There is no real end to the game either and each set of missions get harder and harder as you go along.

The first mission type is the light cycles. You need to not run into a line or wall. Sounds easy but the AI is actually fairly smart. You can speed your cycle up with either trigger button. Now the enemy lays a lien behind as do you so you need to cause them to run into something while avoiding it yourself. It's not too hard though until later when there's more than one.

The second mission type is a tank battle. For some reason I'm horrible at this one. You need to move around with the left analog stick and you aim with the right analog stick and I want to say the right trigger shoots. This would be fine and dandy but the way you aim is controlled as if you were using a ball which obviously you're not and so it barely works at all. It's slow and barely responsive.

Anyway, you need to shoot the other tank which tanks more than one shot before he hits you with a single shot. As it always works out I get my three shots in and he dies as his final shot slams into me causing me to lose a life unless I'm playing it as my last mission.

The third mission type is the gateway one. It's not the real name but it's what I am calling it. In the middle of the screen is a circle within a box. You need to get to the circle before the timer under it runs out. Sounds simple but these little spiders are running around and they multiply themselves. So you need quick shooting skills here. But alas the track ball syndrome returns to rue the day you downloaded this game.

The fourth and final mission is the cone. You need to reach this cone of light at the top of this tube you're in. You need to shoot colored blocks out of the way to reach it and all the while the screen is scrolling closer to it. This is fairly easy even with the crap aim. The problem is that it's glitched. I watched some videos of the original arcade game and you just need to clear a path and go up. However, every time I tried to clear a two block path I would magically die with no blocks near me.

I would like to say the game is fun but it isn't. The controls just ruin the game and I have no clue what they were thinking when they released it this way. The game does have leader boards, vs Live matches and co-op play but I didn't bother with any of that due to the crap controls.

I would avoid Tron like the bubonic plague. Throw all of your childhood arcade memories out the window because this is the biggest botch job to hit the Live Arcade yet.

Story - N/A
Graphics - 7/10
Sound - 7/10
Control - 1/10
Game Play - 7/10
Replay Value - 5/10

Final Score - 3/10

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 01/15/08

Game Release: Tron (US, 01/09/08)