Review by Klufter

"The return of Sam Fisher shows the unsung hero has lost what made him special."

The (very) long awaited fifth installment in the classic Splinter Cell series, Splinter Cell: Conviction, is a decent game in it's own right.

Gameplay - 8/10

The gameplay was very good but it had lost some of the stealth that characterises this series. That aside most of the core mechanics, such as Mark and Execute, were very nice and run smoothly. Also, the new interrogation scenes were very nice and showed Sam's angry side.

Story - 10/10

The story in Conviction is much more character based than the previous installments, where the story was mainly used just to link the missions together. This is good and means for a much more personal gaming experience. I won't delve into the specific storyline, mainly as a review is to decide whether a game is worth buying and I don't want to spoil it. Very basically, Fisher receives information that his daughter is still alive and is told to investigate a terrorist organization so he can speak to her. Not really sure she is alive, he is thrown into a world of corrupted officials and private armies. He eventually finds out the truth about his daughter and stops the terrorist plot.

Sound and Graphics - 9/10

I hear some people complain about the graphics in this game but I think that the style of graphics, gritty and hard, fits well with the story and the new Fisher. I'm not really too picky about graphics though - gameplay is much more important. The new and improved objectives that are shown on the scenery are really good and inspired. The let down for the graphics is the rather annoying black & white transition when you're in the shadows.
I'm not too bothered about sound either, as long as it sounds realistic - which it does - it's fine by me. And the music is pretty good aswell.

Multiplayer - 8/10

The Mercs vs Spies mode from previous games was, for some reason, scrapped in Conviction and we are left with two slightly disappointing terrorist hunt / horde / firefight modes. However, the co-op certainly makes up for this. I think this co-op even surpasses that of Chaos Theory. It may be hard to get a decent online match, but all you need is to get a friend to play online of go round to your house and play split-screen.

Gameplay - 8/10
Story - 10/10
Sound and Graphics - 9/10
Multiplayer - 8/10

Overall - 9/10

Although not having much replayability (in my eyes) Splinter Cell: Conviction is a very good game and deserves a place on your shelves, but it isn't a classic like Halo or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Now, I'm not saying that's Fisher's new adventure is not one of his best 'cause it is, but it just wasn't what I thought it would be when I picked it off the shelf. To me, Splinter Cell means stealth and shadows which this game included, but it has also changed into an action-based gamea game which will sell. It's turned more and more into a game which will sell. One which appeals to the majority of gamers. But not one which is Splinter Cell.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/30/10

Game Release: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (Limited Edition) (EU, 04/16/10)