Review by churchill002

"Good but not great"

Horror games are some of my favorite types of games to play. The first Condemned was one of the scariest games I have ever played. Beaten only by Silent Hill 2 and F.E.A.R. So I had High hopes for the sequel. Unfortunately I went through the game a bit disappointed, the story and the element of fear are the two major offenders. For one the story itself seemed weaker and less interesting. It seemed rushed and left a few questions unanswered. Also like stated before the element of fear is not quite as present as it was in the first game. It had a few scary parts here and there but not nearly enough. But that's my opinion and not everybody may see it the same way I do, which is fine.

Not to say this game isn't good, it is, there are many things I enjoyed about this game. For one the combat in the game is far better than it was in its predecessor. The addition of combos and environmental finishers is great and makes the game really fun to play. Also the addition of more guns and the ability to zoom look through iron sights and scopes is awesome. Headshots are definitely more enjoyable. One of the things they did really well in this game is the addition of a much better crime scene kit. You aren't restricted to being able to use the equipment only at a crime scene. You can bring out the tools whenever you want also the crime scene investigations themselves are much better done.

Going back to the weapons aspect of the game I did find myself using firearms a lot more often than I used melee weapons. I didn't have a problem with using guns more often but I can see why diehard fans of the first condemned would be annoyed. I'm sure you can still go through the whole game using only melee weapons but it would be pretty difficult to do with melee weapons breaking all the time. The visuals in this game are pretty good, it's defiantly a more gory and violent game than Criminal Origins but don't let that deter you from the game.

All in all Condemned Bloodshot is a game that could have been great but due to a weaker story and a lack of fear moments this game gets a 7/10. Rent it before you buy it or if you find it cheap further on down the road, go ahead and pick it up.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/08

Game Release: Condemned 2: Bloodshot (US, 03/11/08)