Review by GodOfWarFanatic

"A slightly inferior sequel, but still a great game."

The original Condemned was, without a doubt, the scariest game I've ever played. Actually, it's still the only game that has made me jump in fear after I got through the "horror movies aren't real" stage. Condemned 2: Bloodshot looks like it would be scary has hell, but it's just freaky and creepy, not scary at all. All though you will constantly look for enemies in fear, I doubt you will have the same fear the first one gave you. Now the thing I've always like about the Condemned series was there aren't any super-natural beings, monsters, etc. They are just psychotic human-beings, which is really what makes the series scary. Well, the first one was scary for two reasons: The reason that I just explained above and how enemies popped out of no where. Condemned 2 is scary just for the first reason, all though there are enemies that aren't human. Throughout this game, only one person jumped out in front of me and it wasn't frightening. But does that automatically make this game suck? Not being as scary as the first one? Not at all. This game is really good and worth the play, just not as good as the first, as the title says.

I'm not gonna go too deep with the story, except you're Ethan Thomas...again, and the city has become more violent. The crime rates are rising at an incredible rate and you're a drunk who lives in poverty. It is more complex than that, but that's the basic concept.

The combat is "better" than the first and there are more weapons. I just didn't feel the same brutality in this one as I did with the first. Also, firearms are more involved in this one. In fact, one level is all about guns. Which really dissapointed me, considering firearms in the first one were an amazing and rare sight and was based on basically all melee combat. They are found almost constantly in this one. Don't get me wrong, there are more melee weapons than guns in this, and you'll use hand-to-hand combat more, just firearms are more common than the previous Condemned game. The new, and most noticable addition, is the enviromental kills. They are awesome and all, but you hardly see them and I find it hard to get an opponent on his knees without killing them. Also chain attacks, which there are few of. The main problem with the combat is I felt that it could've been more complex and have more variety.

The forensics are really good and I loved when you had to study evidence. It's also much more involved than the first game. It's fairly easy to use and a lot of the questions are common sense, but there could've been more crime scenes that you could investigate. But I shouldn't complain.

Condemned: Criminal Origins had some of the greatest graphics in any video game. Incredibly detailed and realistic. However, in this sequel, I think the graphics look downgraded. It's still detailed, though.

The voice-acting is good and the background music creates and incredibly eerie sound to it. But it's not perfect.

The gameplay is excellent. The combat system is incredible, all though it could be upgraded, the levels are awesome, as with the investigation parts. The thing that takes away perfect gameplay is the guns being more common making it seem like a generic FPS. The gameplay is basically the same as the first, just lacks the horror the first one delievered. You also are rated bronze, silver, or gold after the completion of each mission and you unlock an upgrad. Like the stun gun, brass knuckles for your left fist, and more. It is, in terms of combat, superior than Condemned: Criminal Origins and it sounds like I'm contradicting myself because of the title, but when a melee-oriented game where guns are incredibly common, it's not going to have a better gameplay rating.

Entertainment: 10/10

It will entertain you, especially if you're a fan. It's brutal, bloody, and fun as hell. The melee combat in this, as well as the first, is always great. Play it. You'll have a blast.

Length: 7/10

I haven't calculated the exact amount of time it took to beat this, but I can tell you it's short. Which should prevent you from paying $60 for it, unless you're going to play multiplayer, which I can't tell you anything about.

Final Rating: 8/10

I loved this game. I loved the first game, obviously. It was fun and heart-pounding, it just failed to deliever the scares the first game did and made guns too common. The forensics were incredible and I hope in the next installment (If that happens, of course) that they will make it even more involved. If you want to play a fun game that's creepy as hell, this is for you. You should actually play both of them. It's just not worth the $60 price tag.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/08

Game Release: Condemned 2: Bloodshot (US, 03/11/08)