Review by dantethemad

"true to the series"

This game captures the Fallout universe perfectly. Everything from the character models to the landscape is perfect. I didn't think that a first person Fallout game would work, though it sounded fun... But it just feels like Fallout.

SOUND- Wonderful voice work, eerie post nuclear sound effects. I have no complaints in this area... I love that the sound effects from the original Fallouts were kept, especially when using the V.A.T.S system.

GRAPHICS- No real complaints here. Bethseda did an excellent job creating models that look and feel like they came straight from the original Fallout games. My only disappointment, though not a real complaint, is the inability to truly customize your characters gear. You dont have many variations on clothing to choose from... But I'm sure we'll see some addons with more gear, so its all right.

GAMEPLAY- Immersive, addicting, complex... Just like the originals, you'll be able to replay the game over and over and get a completely different experience each time. The lack of vehicles doesn't put a smile on my face, but with the fast travel option (to places you've already visited) at least you wont pull your hair out. I do miss the random and often whacky random encounters that were included in the originals, but thats the price you pay when you travel in real time I suppose. Also, the combat system is brilliant and incredibly fun. The most tedious aspect of the first Fallouts was the fact that you had to wait for enemies to move before you could move, even when the enemies were simply running away... Bethseda fixed this issue, by giving you the ability to switch in and out of AP consuming mode at will.

STORY- The story was good, but very short. If you stick to the main story you will probably beat this game too quickly, and that is not a good thing... Theres alot to see and do in this chapter of Fallout, and with such a short main quest its easy to forget about exploring. Again I think this is a minor problem, as addons will increase the replay value and the extensiveness of the game.

Also, I was really not happy with the cities. While the first city felt like a real Fallout wild west town, the rest of them were small and lacking. I loved the big towns and cities and all the different cultures to play with in Fallout 2, but here we have one small town and a few odd random towns. They really missed the mark there, and we lost out on alot of potentially good content in the long run. Its because of this that I can't give the game a ten....

Overall a great game, incredibly complex, but it really needed more cities and towns.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/03/08

Game Release: Fallout 3 (US, 10/28/08)