Review by SnarfMySnausage

"Great game, mediocre ending"

POP! This game starts off with you being born in what seems to be Vault 101. The game starts you off with the most important years of your life (1, 10, 16, 19), and during each year you are given the chance to modify how you will end up when you turn 19. I really liked how Bethesda implemented "growing up" into this game. And, once you turn 19, you are thrown out into a Nuclear Fallout, and there appears to be no life for miles. This gives the game a very eerie tone to it.
Creativity: 9/10

You are in a metro station, when all of the sudden, you here a piercing scream of a feral ghoul. You open up your V.A.T.S. (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System), freeze time momentarily to aim at his head, then start time up again to let lose on the poor mutant. There is rarely a dull moment in this game, and you have the can control it all with a simple interface. The inventory is very simple to use, and the game has 5 difficulties to be played on.
Playability: 9/10

Thump. Thump! THUMP!!! A Super Mutant Behemoth is threatening you. But this monster is well over 15+ feet tall. How will you ever take it out? Why, shoot a nuke at it! The guns in this game are very amazing, and they range from Snipers to Laser Gatling Guns to Mini-Nuke Launchers. The melee weapons are just as amazing. There are swords with chainsaws attached to them, Power Gauntlets (giant fists) which let you punch off limbs of an adversary, and Super Sledges (they are what the name suggests, a sledge that is strong as H E L L)
Weapons: 10/10

The only weak points in this game that I could see was friendly and enemy A.I., and the ending. NO Spoilers. You are given several missions in which you need to transport, follow, and help your allies. But they sometimes just stop walking, don't shoot at enemies, or go to far ahead and get themselves shot at. And the ending was terrible in my opinion. After you complete the main questline, you get put back to the load screen, and you basically have to reload another file to play. This got me, and I am sure many other players, very riled up.
Ending/A.I.: 6/10

I suggest you really do check this game out, because, simply put, it is an amazing title. The gameplay is great, but the AI and the ending is a bit weak.

8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/03/08

Game Release: Fallout 3 (US, 10/28/08)