Review by NascarAssassin2

"Should you get Fallout 3? Yes, But watch out for the Deathclaws."

First of all let me say I enjoyed the game thoroughly. I have completed all the side quests and have completed the main quest more then once. This review will tell you ups and downs. Fallout 3 is an addictive game that pulls you in to the point of no return. I found myself unable to put down the controller. Read why!

Challenge

The challenge in the game is very good. If you start out on normal as I did, you will soon realize that this game isn't just a walk in the park, (Well it wasn't for me) Even in the introduction you don't miss a thing. You actually feel as though you're escaping from an over protective society. Through out the game you begin to understand that it only gets more difficult. It's not a difficult where you die and put down the controller. You die and think "Can't wait to get back hear and finish this bad ass off!" Quite frankly I believe that normal is the best difficulty, but if you prefer even more of a challenge, go with very hard. The one bone I've got to pick with the challenge is you can turn the difficulty down to very easy. 10 out of 10.

Controls

Amazing is the only word to describe the way the game controls. I haven't met up with many glitches possibly one, which in all honesty I don't consider all that bad. When I first started playing the game I previously believed there would be a lot of loading screens and time wasted in free roam loading. The game moves along very nicely. Not too many loading screens and the ones that are there, are not very troublesome at all. Controls in the sense of buttons, also amazing. Very simple to use, very standard controls with shooters, X reload, Y jump, A to interact, and B to enter the pip-boy, And you can even change the controls if you don't like them, In all honesty I couldn't find anything wrong. 10 out of 10.

Interface

The interface as you've already seen in previous category, amazing. Many dialogue options when interacting with characters and even more too unlock as you progress. It feels as though you're actually having an in-depth conversation with friends and foes in the game. I found myself intrigued when a raider actually made me mad when threatening me in mid conversation. I also found it amazing that by pushing one button you could watch as an entire town explodes, It makes it very apparent that red means stealing and green means okay when picking up objects. I had hoped the interface would be a tiny bit more in-depth. I mean it wouldn't have been all bad being able to climb a ladder instead of just pushing and warping elsewhere. Not a drawback in the least though. 9 out of 10.

Sound

The sounds of post apocalyptic Washing D.C are phenomenal, From the sounds of an enemy rushing to you as the music dramatically changes, to the little sounds you hear as your just stepping and jumping, There is a wide array of background music which makes every tunnel, city, and wasteland section you explore feel more exciting and makes game play even more exceptional, You can even turn on the radio anywhere you go just by going to your pip-boy. There are many different voices, each person you talk to seems to give off their own persona, You may find a similar voice here and there but only if you're looking for it. It's not very often at all and when you do, you don't even notice, Not one bone to pick with the sounds. 10 out of 10.

Character Customization

There seems to be a lot of different hair styles and facial hair options, but it also is very annoying seeing the same style under a different name. The hairstyles they give you are good looking none the least and the presets they give you for face options are not that bad at all. I had hoped for a lot more options in body creation. As you've nonetheless seen in other games where you can adjust the height, build, and special race options, you won't find this here. By special race options I mean you should be able to be a ghoul or at least be able to add a mutation or two. The RPG aspects of the game is what was really captivating, You can choose from 7 main skills and 13 minor skills, and to top it all off there are a wide variety of perks to choose from as you gain levels. 9 out of 10.

Graphics/Animation

The graphics in this game are absolutely magnificent! From the radiation in the water to the half destroyed beautiful home with dirt and debris everywhere it is a very visually stunning game. At one point I found myself in awe as I shot through an enemy straight through his skull and saw every bit and piece of his skull go flying! The blood and gore is just enough to make you fall in love, not too much and not too little, Every little detail that they put into the graphics and animation makes this game amazing. 10 out of 10.

Length

This game is exceptionally long, The good kind of long, You have many places to go involving the main quest and side quests, I still feel as though my exploring will never end. There are a good amount of cities and towns, but when the cities get boring you have a wide variety of Stations, Tunnels, Blown up buildings, raider camps, and underground cities to explore. The main quest if you jump right into it, is a good 10 to 20 hours of fun depending on your difficulty. Side quests feel never-ending. Maybe because you don't want them to end, I'd say this is a very long game and very fun. 10 out of 10.

Storyline

From the start you feel as though you are living in a tiny controlling civilization until one day daddy goes missing, I won't spoil it for you though, But the story is very good as you follow through the foot steps of your illustrious father, as you stumble upon his science projects and find out a little about who he is, all in order to find him. Point blank the story grips you right from the beginning all the way to the very end. 10 out of 10.

Collectors Edition

With the collectors edition you get a very cool lunchbox which just adds to the fun of opening the game for the very first time, Along with that you get the game an attractive art book with many different designs to look at and an awesome pip-boy bobble head, My favorite extra you get with the collectors edition is the making of Fallout 3, In all I'd recommend buying the collectors edition. 9 out of 10

Overall

In all it's a very good game which combines a shooter with an in-depth RPG. Everything is just amazing and I'd recommend this to anyone who believes playing games is fun, The combat system is amazing, You can either choose the normal run and gun system where its aim and shoot, or you can do the intense strategic V.A.T.S. system. With V.A.T.S. you can pause time and take a look at all the different body parts you can aim at and depending on the number of AP (action points) you have you are allowed a certain amount of shots, Very good system if I do say so myself. Good shooter, great RPG, Magnificent game. Buy this game the very first chance you can. And now with The Game of The Year Edition out this game just got 10x better. Make sure you don't miss out on this game. 9 out of 10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/12/08, Updated 11/02/09

Game Release: Fallout 3 (Collector's Edition) (US, 10/28/08)