Review by bigpoppasmurff

"Great game, surprisingly disappointing."

When I heard that Bethesda picked up the Fallout series and was developing Fallout 3, I, like so many others immediately thought: "Oblivion with guns!" On the surface, my assumption was pretty much correct, but in the end I was pretty sorely disappointed. I probably shouldn't have gotten my hopes up thinking that Fallout 3 could compare to Oblivion, but I think that my feelings about the game are nonetheless somewhat valid.

Before I go further, I was really impressed by Fallout 3 at first. I really enjoy games that allow a certain type of flexibility where a player can choose to follow the main story line, or just plain explore and get sucked into side quests. That all being said, I was really disappointed with how relatively small and short Fallout turned out to be. Everything from the leveling system to the number of side quests to the ending of the main quest (no worries, I'm not going to toss in a spoiler) were all let downs to me. While I'm sure that future add-on's will undoubtedly add more quests and whatnot, I still as though this game could really be so much more.

All in all, the game took me only about 24-25 hours to reach level 20, finish the main quest, and tackle most of the side quests. At that point, I did what most people would do: I created a new character to explore the game further, play around a bit more with the perks and stats, and take an alternate path in the storyline. When all that is done, simply, there isn't much else to do. Sure, you can go out and pillage the capital wasteland for your fair share of caps and loot, but there isn't much point to it. In short, this game, surprisingly enough, is lacking in replay value.

Griping aside, this really, truly, is a solid game. The main story line is interesting, and the side quests are a lot of fun. The game play itself is great: excellent graphics, well balanced weapons and enemies, and a fairly decent amount of stuff to both explore and kill. I love the incorporation of the VATS system and, of course, the perks. All in all, this game is worth getting and playing, but it could have been so much more in depth than it is. More could have been done with the Brotherhood Outcasts, the Lyon's Pride, Vance's gang (especially considering one particular perk involving eating, sneaking, and certain crimes against nature), or even the Enclave, to provide a more in depth experience.

If you're looking for an RPG/Action cross-over that allows for some gore, humor and flexibility, then by all means, pick this game up as its a pretty good mix, but be warned... it does get boring pretty quickly.

We'll just have to see what add-on's Bethesda has in store...

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/26/08

Game Release: Fallout 3 (US, 10/28/08)