Review by SamyueruHikage

"A living breathing world awaits you..."

There are 2 previous games in the Fallout series, and I haven't played either of them. I suppose I could go back and try them, but the fact is, they're not going to be as good as this one.

A while ago, a friend of mine bought the game, and we talked about the combat system. I was not impressed with how it seemed to handle, just from reading reviews. But whatever, it had been a slow year, and the Christmas sales were on, so I bought Fallout 3 (among other things).

The first thing I noticed upon first playing the game was that it doesn't assume that you're a fan of the previous games. Unlike games such as MGS 4 (which assume - nay, DEMAND! - that you know the story of the previous games, this installment of Fallout seemed to be very much a "stand alone" affair. Which was nice. I didn't want to have to troll back through pages and pages of Wikipedia articles just to find out who this one guy was, and why I was supposed to want to blow his bollocks off.

There's a lot going on in the story of the game. We're first introduced to this universe exactly "200 years ago" (relitive to the time when you actually take your character around the game world) in 2077, when a nuclear war destroys earth. Humans take to underground "holds" known as "Vaults" to grow up in a safe environment, before being let loose on the Wasteland of what used to be Washington D.C. Howvever, you were born in Vault 101, and as Ron Perlman puts it "No one ever enters, and no one ever leaves".

Then you get to play through various stages of your life in Vault 101, choosing your attributes and your skills, as well as learning about combat, and the V.A.T.S. combat system. It all works very well, and it really draws you in. You get a real sense that other people have lives around you in this Vaullt.

Then your father leaves the Vault, and you follow him. That's pretty much the main story, although there are loads of little side stories going on all over the Wastes. Take for example, the West family. You're asked by someone to take a letter to them, and you find them dead. Their son has been taken in by a group of raiders, and so that little story arc sets off.

Gameplay wise, there's a fair bit to talk about, including raising skills and gaining levels and selecting "Perks", which basically act the same way Talents do in WoW. It all works together very well. You get a real sense of freedom when you're building your character.

There's so much more to mention about the game. The amazing graphics, the Karma system, the voice acting, which is top notch and the fact that you get the feeling that you're in a living, breathing world. It feels like this is exactly what would happen if nuclear fallout hit earth. Bathesda have outdone themselves.

Even if you aren't a fan of the previous games, pick this up. It's as close to perfection as you'll see for a long time.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/09

Game Release: Fallout 3 (EU, 10/31/08)