Review by blackbird22

"Survive"

This game covers a wide range of emotions -- Danger, loss, despair, rage, subterfuge, intelligence, puzzles, terror, and triumph. This is not a game where you click and kill everything you come across that moves.

Your mission is to save humanity, deal with some weird characters, kill mutant creatures, avoid traps, explore the blasted landscape, and discover how to not only survive but to prosper in the wasteland left by an atomic exchange.

A kickass game you can play it your way-- good, bad or neutral, Up close, or distant, sneak or brazen. Lots of side quests to discover, places to go, trouble to get into. The side quests do not have to be done in any specific order, so you can explore different aspects of the game by playing it differently. I would say this will have a lot of replayability. I know I will be trying some different characters and different approaches in the future.

Even if you play nice, trouble will come looking for you, Watch out for the mercs. There are a wide variety of critters; from level Easy to Oh S**T . I have not had the privilege to meet any of the Death Claws yet. I am not sure I want to. Most of the threats are vulnerable to different classes of weapons, so you must sometimes experiment to find out what works best. Resources are limited, so you have to manage them, and keep up with a number of health factors, or you might end up in a weakened position.

There is a very good mixing of situations so you have to think through how to get to your objectives. You cannot simple run and gun. This game demands observation, and analysis of changing situations, And the answer is frequently not the "Kill them all and let God sort them out.!" approach. Mood, atmosphere, ambiance is all there; despair is lurking as you try to find where your father has disappeared to, to survive some tough situations and find your way in this blasted desolate landscape.

I did not give it a 10 because of a couple of bugs in the display. A few odd artifacts in places, a couple of strange display quirks, it also has some holes that you can fall into and not be able to climb out of, that is very annoying if you have to reload from your last save. I am playing on Xbox 360.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/13/09

Game Release: Fallout 3 (US, 10/28/08)