Review by Boni Boy Blue

"Personal Favourite for Xbox 360"

Fallout 3

Bethesda announced this game and stated that it will feature a style like The Elder Scrolls 4 but of course set in a different time period and with different weapons like guns and rocket launchers. Fallout 3 is personally the best game I've played to date on the Xbox 360 although the game does have a few flaws and some major flaws that I've never came across over my 64 hours of gameplay.

Story - 8/10

Without spoiling anything from the plot of the game. Your character (often refereed to “The Lone Wanderer) is born and from there you are able to choose your gender, name your character and chose your appearance when you grow up to be a teenager and little while after that you get to choose your S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats. After the childhood phase chaos breaks out in the underground vault as your father has left the vault. The Lone Wanderer then fights his way out of the vault too and that's when the story begins as a son's journey to find his dad.

The Fallout 3 story line is quite vast because of the sandbox style of the game, the player isn't restricted and can really do whatever they wish from side quests to exploring the wasteland and freeing prisoners from the super mutants.

Gameplay - 10/10

Fallout 3 has two aspects of gameplay, the player can choose either first person or third person view. Fallout 3 contains a levelling up system like many RPGs do. The idea is to collect experience from completing quests, hacking terminals, hacking safes and from killing enemies. Collect enough experience and your character levels up to a maximum of 20 (30 if you download Fallout 3: Broken Steel). In addition to levelling up you are awarded with a perk to choose from which depends of what level you are and what your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats are like. A perk is really just a bonus which could range from, extra HP, improved accuracy in V.A.T.S.

V.A.T.S (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System) is similar to an auto aim, the idea is that the game pauses and a part of the enemy is highlighted with a hit percentage. The higher the percentage the better the change of hitting the target. V.A.T.S uses Ability Points, each shot takes an amount of AP depending on the weapon. The attacks are queued up until the player decided to fire. This is a pretty good addition to the game but at high levels it makes the game a little to easy.

Fallout 3 has a karma system, you can get good karma and get bad karma which is given depending on your actions in-game. Karma can effect a few things in the game like certain may not want to follow you because you a evil person. There are 3 different Karma states, bad, neutral and good each one also has a unique title based on the character's level.

The player can also buy/sell weapons, items, food and ammo and can repair their weapons or pay someone else to do it and the best thing about this is that the shop owner has a budget and really gives the 'fend for yourself' kind of feel by getting most of your ammo for downed enemies. All the items weapons and ammo are all configured through the PIP-boy 3000 that is attached to wrist which acts like a computer on your wrist which can show you maps, current quests and other important information.

Graphics - 9/10

The graphics in Fallout 3 are beautiful, a lot of time was spent in designing the foliage and the buildings. They can be quite boring after a while but it would be hard not to as the game is based in a post apocalyptic era. The physics aspect in the game are quite remarkable the player is able to pick up most loose objects unless their heavy like it's pretty hard to lift a super mutant. As well as this the enemy can hear your footsteps or anything you might bang into that alerts them to your location.

The enemies are also beautifully designed, the ghouls and the super mutant are really well done and will without a doubt give you a little fright once during the game. There are times where you will notice a graphical glitch but this does not affect the gameplay at all.

Some of the graphics are re-used, and these are mostly in the underground rail-tunnels that are used to travel throughout the D.C area of the wasteland. Bethesda should be proud of the intellectual property of the graphics themselves which look beautiful in standard definition as well as High definition.

Sound/Voice Acting - 7/10

The music in Fallout 3 is quite fun, I'm assuming that the old vinyl are the only form of music that survived the fallout so they are the only music that is played on the local radio through the radio systems in the wasteland or your PIP-boy 3000, later in the game a new channel appears which features a solo violin.

The voice acting for the most part is superb but I do have one issue that bugs me. Some of the unimportant NPC, the voice acting is re-used for the characters and after a while it gets really annoying but that's just an opinion I have. The voice cast is brilliantly done but I had hoped the Bethesda hired Patrick Stewart again for one of the main cast.

Overall - 9/10

I really do want to give this game a rating of 10, it is one of the best games I've played this year and it has to be the best game I've ever played on the Xbox 360. The reason of the -1 point is really just my personal opinion and it's to do with the voice actors that are overused a bit too much and I got a bit fed up of them as the game reached it's end.

I would recommend to anyone to buy this game, it will be an experience that you'll never forgot and with the amount of support that has been given with 5 pieces of DLC so far is remarkable and has kept me playing for over 64 hours and that is likely to triple before Bethesda works on a new IP.

Summary
Story: 8
Gameplay: 10
Graphics: 9
Sound/Voice Acting: 7
Overall: 9

Fallout 3 Downloadable Content
Fallout 3: Operation Anchoridge

Operation: Anchorage was the first of three announced downloadable content. Operation: Anchorage includes a new quest line, new weapons, new armour and new perks. The DLC alerts the player to the new quest line through a radio transmission that starts off the quest. To try and not spoil the story the player is required to enter a military simulation which depicts the major event of the war that happened in the Fallout world.

The DLC features a new graphical style and give us a break of the depressing post apocalyptic setting of the Capital Wasteland. Instead the player is given a snowy battlefield in the mountains to battle with the Chinese invading forces. The inside of the buildings have also improved and it's quite nice to see no signs of nuclear war for a change. Operation: Anchorage also features a new type of enemy that can cloak himself in a stealth boy like way and remain hidden to the player until he attacks.

When the player enters the simulation, everything is removed, all the weapons, items, everything and is given a few weapons by the simulation. The gameplay, for the most part, is the same except killing an enemy does not leave a corpse instead the body just disappears in some sort of light. This means that the player can't loot the bodies, the player is given instead an ammo regenerator and a health regenerator that are placed throughout the simulation.
Operation: Anchorage is a very linear quest line and breaks away from the sandbox style that Fallout 3 players are used. Operation: Anchorage is an enjoyable piece of Downloadable Content and has some amazing rewards for those that finish the add-on.

Fallout 3: Operation: Anchorage - 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/06/09, Updated 08/07/09

Game Release: Fallout 3 (EU, 10/31/08)