Review by SoraLink2649

"Great Fun in the Capital Wasteland"

I didn't have great expectations when I bought this game. I never even heard of the Fallout series until I played this game. So I was either going to be highly disappointed or very grateful for deciding to give it a try. Well, from when I first started, to the minute I finished, I was blown away by this game, but let me just explain to you about how good every aspect of this game really is.

Sound (10/10)
The music in a game is always supposed to capture the mood of where you are, and Fallout's soundtrack does very good at this. Whether it's the creepy vault music, epic opening track, or just walking around in the wastes, the music always seems to fit perfectly. Also, it's a good add in that you can listen to the radio, and all the songs fit in perfectly with the theme. Sound effects for everything in this game are realistic and that just adds to the experience.

Graphics (8/10)
Don't get me wrong, the graphics in this game are beautiful, and look as you would expect from the Xbox 360. The little intricate details, the realistic enemies and humans, and murky looking environment features show that their was a lot of attention on this section. The thing that is wrong with this, however, is when the graphics start to glitch and blur, it can take away from the feel and look really annoying. I expected that to happen with a big, open world, but it just makes it look really bad. Without those errors though, the graphics are very nice.

Story (9/10)
The storyline for this game, for me, seemed to be an elevator. Some parts of it were interesting and cool, and others were not either of those two. The vault concept and all the craziness that goes along with it is probably the best plot design of the game. You are lucky and have the good vault, but then everything goes wrong, your father leaves, and your goal is to find him. There are many things to do in order to find your father and then eventually, stop your true enemy in the game. You will meet unique characters along the way that for the most part enhance the experience. Really though, the main story in this game is how you handle yourself and make your own decisions. Will you be good or evil?

Gameplay (10/10)
This is what separates Fallout 3 from a lot of games, and the main reason it is one of the best games ever. The awesome action, the many areas to explore and kill enemies in, and the introduction of VATS make this aspect of the game perfect. The action in this game is well balanced and keeps you on your toes for what you will encounter and what you should do when you encounter it. It's just the pure epic nature of fights and the feeling of survival when you are fighting any opponent in any place. None of this would have been good, however, if Bethesda wouldn't have added in the pause shooting of VATS. Some may complain it slows down the action, but I believe it only enhances the experience. It just has an addictive type feel to it, I personally love seeing heads and limbs fall off in slow motion. Just knowing that you have all this stuff to work with while adventuring makes this game unique in how you go about your business in the wastes.

Replayability (10/10)
There is so much to do in this game that it is just amazing. You will definitely need at least three playthroughs to see everything. With all the different dialogue of characters depending on what you do, and the different ways you can do things, being good or evil, this game has so many opportunities for fun. The addictive nature of this game will make you want to go through again and again to see what you missed out on the previous time around.

Recommendation (Must-Buy)
This has to be one of the greatest RPG's of all time, why wouldn't you want it in your collection. With all the fun you could have in this 40+ hour behemoth of a game, it is one of the easiest purchases a gamer should ever have to make. This is surely a game you will remember for a long time.

Final Verdict (9.4/10)

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/10

Game Release: Fallout 3 (US, 10/28/08)