Review by supersithmonkey

"A great series with a great combat system shows little to no innovation and development."

To start off, I'd like to state that I love the Soul Calibur series. I've played every game in the series, including Soul Edge; I have played Soul Calibur 2 and 3 extensively. I have been anticipating the fifth installment in the series for as long as it's been confirmed. To sum up the game quickly, it was the result of when a company gets too comfortable with a series. For more info, see below:

The Good: There are many positive aspects to this game; sadly they are mostly all things which have been in previous games. The best thing about this game is they did nothing to screw up the fighting system. The combat has great flow and is fun to play. The critical finishes work well, but they don't happen so often as to become annoying . Personally, I'm torn over whether or not it was a good idea to make clothes affect combat characteristics, it basically leads to one of three outcomes. You can: make a character look how you want with poor to decent stats, make a character with great stats and an alright look, or spend a lot of time compromising both and getting very frustrated. I believe they should have used a leveling system, similar to how the styles leveled up in story, arcade, and the tower, which would allow you to get more skills and/or attributes as you leveled up. Regardless of my opinion, the system in place makes for an interesting challenge. The Tower of Lost Souls was also a nice addition, with some very nice challenges.

The Bad: There are basically two major flaws to this game. 1. There is no in-depth single player mode with a decent story. Previous games had Chronicle mode and Weapon Master mode, each which told an interesting new story, added many hours of playtime, and rewarded your efforts with a leveling system, especially Chronicle Mode.I see that the Tower is supposed to do this, but It lacks an interesting story, and is relatively short in comparison to previous games' extended single player modes. 2. The game brings nothing new to the series, simple as that.

Overall, this is a good game. The game-play is fun, the graphics are amazing, the Tower is pretty cool. if you've never played a Soul Calibur game before, you should enjoy it. If you have played before, and enjoyed Chronicles or Weapon Master, you'll be a little disappointed. I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/01/08

Game Release: SoulCalibur IV (US, 07/29/08)