Review by powergeyser88

"SCIV = Addicting in gameplay, customization, and multiplay."

Ok, I will start out by admitting Soulcalibur IV is pretty short... But that doesn't make the replay value of it any less amazing. From the time I picked up the controller and floored Siegfried using a custom made character I knew that this game had possibilities. The graphics on the Xbox 360 brought the game to life with its updated character models and beautiful scenery. Playing against my little brothers and friends gave us some humorous and bloodthirsty moments with the clash of steel. Honestly, I know people have complained about this game but I really can't see why when they've received such a gem.

The customization system is the same as Soulcalibur III which is a plus. There aren't as many items as SC III but that can be over looked with the amount of options for characters now like skills and character attitude. Creation possibilities if done right is very vast. Within thirty minutes I had created well known characters from games and anime as well as some custom creations. So if I had to score this portion of the game it would get a solid 9 out of 10 for the features it brings.

Slashing, blocking, countering, parrying, and crushing. Those words alone should make someone interested in a game. The fact that SCIV has all of the above is part of its attraction. When you get people between the age of 13 and 24 in the same room and present them with the ability to do all these things against one another, it creates hours of hilarious and epic play. Here is a personal experience I had against my younger brother of 17. He was The Apprentice and I was a custom character using the style of Mitsurugi. After 30 seconds of clashing and countering it came down to a final attack for each of us. I charged at him and he side stepped me, sending me flying out of the ring as I tried a jumping slash. We both fell on the floor laughing. Battles that followed were aggressive and fierce as he would win a match and then I would in return. With the amount of character choices and levels to play in it ended up being 32 matches to myself and 28 to him. A total of 60 matches and neither of us grew tired of fighting. If that doesn't scream good multi-play then I don't know what does. Score for multi-play would be 10 out of 10.

Last but not least the gamemodes for SCIV. You have the modes we've grown to expect like challenge mode and arcade mode, both good for frustrating combat and killing some time. The Tower of Lost Souls is the new addition to the game. You can either descend or ascend in the tower and face different opponents and groups, some unlockable and some not. The stages are rigged usually with conditions like Health drains or slippery floors. Typical SCIV gamemodes. Thats where I had a problem. It was just the same gamemodes you could find in the last two installations of the series. I was hoping for something new and exciting like SC III's conquest mode or even a new version of that. But it was the same gameplay I'd seen before. Don't get me wrong. That gamemodes is enjoyable in its own respect but with the SC franchise making its jump to the next-gen jugernuaghts I was hoping for something a little more. In the end beggars can't be choosers and we have to settle for whats given to us which I guess we should feel lucky we even got that much. Final score for Gamemodes 8 out of 10.

I bested the Master of the Jedi, gained an immortal weapon and designed a warrior all from the comfort of my couch. Not many games can provide that type of excitement and wonder. Soulcalibur IV is the type of game that even if you unlock everything and gain every achievement it doesn't get old. Customization, multi-play, and the gamemodes can bring you back and suck you in again. Sure its not a perfect game. I've never seen a perfect game. No one has. There will always be flaws no matter how minor in some of the best games out there. Its our job to overlook them and see what the game truly has to offer. Final verdict for SCIV with all areas taken into consideration, a 9 out of 10. Almost there... Lets see an actual 10 out of 10 for the next installment!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/25/08

Game Release: SoulCalibur IV (Limited Edition) (US, 07/29/08)