Review by isekoldy

"Wonderful Game, but too much unnecessary armor and flashy moves."

I picked up SC4 this past Sunday. I was really excited about the gameplay and customization mode. First and foremost SC4 is a terrific game. I'll do a breakdown of the parts of what gamers look for in most games.

Gameplay- The gameplay in Soulcalibur 4 is well-done and very well-balanced, unlike its horrible predessesor. It was damn near impossible to obtain the "special characters" in the game. For example Li Long, I'm a Soulcalibur veteran and that battle was the hardest I have ever fought in SC. Li Long demolished me in 6 seconds. His attack power and combos were ridiculous. That game was so broken it's ashame.Arcade mode is just a standalone fighting mode where you earn gold and unlock an achievement and /or a few hidden characters. Story mode is very short, which is a disappointment, and the boss Algol doesn't fit into the game. Tower of Lost Souls is a challenging, fun, and yet addictive mode. You unlock customization items in this mode, which can be a pain at times, especially as you ascend the tower. Newcomers to th world of Soul Calibur will probably pull their hair out when playing this mode, because of the tough conditions put in front of the players, on each floor, and the number of opponents that players must face on each floor. My other problem with this game is the number of flashy moves added to the pre-existing Soulcalibur. Overall and otherwise, a big step up from SC3's gameplay.

Graphics- The character models and backgrounds in the game are exceptional. The problem I have with the character models, are the costumes the characters don. The costumes are too bulky or too much in quantity. The exceptions too this problem are Ivy and Yoshimitsu. Everyone else just doesn't fit well with the added layers of clothing or battleware.

Audio- I'm not that concerned about audio but the volume is very sound in this game. No pun intended.Maybe. The in-game music has a heroic feel to it 70 percent of the time. But, it compliments the battlegrounds really well and so does the downloadable original Soul Calibur music.

Unlockables- I'll keep it short and sweet. Average, with the exception of The Apprentice a.k.a Starkiller.

Overall, Soulcalibur 4 delivers . I just hope if another sequel's released, that Namco tones down the flashy moves, drastically tone down the characters costumes, add much more depth to the Character Creation mode, and revive the level of depth Soul Blade and the original Soul Calibur's storyline had. Soul Calibur is a wonderful series

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/24/08

Game Release: SoulCalibur IV (US, 07/29/08)