Review by LeonidVas

"Could be a great game if it weren't for all the demon nonsence. Still very good."

By now everyone probably knows this: Darksiders is a "God of War meets Legend of Zelda" kind of game. Sounds tempting, huh? Well, it is. It has all the exploration, all the gory fights, all the tools opening new paths, all the giant bosses. Sometimes it's even trying to copy a bit too much, like, you should be looking for empty bottles to carry more potions and 4 health shards must be collected to increase health.

Anyways, no matter how much of copycat it is, it is copying from great games, and does it perfectly, so the gameplay is top notch. There isn't really anything wrong about it. Even when you don't know what to do next or can't beat a particularly hard fight, it's a *good* kind of frustration, if you know what I'm saying. You concentrate, finish the tough part just a second before you could give up and use a guide and feel all that satisfaction.

So, that's what makes it great. What does not is story and setting. Horned demons throwing cars, horsemen of apocalypse, burning eyes under the cape, end of the world, blah-blah-blah. You have to be in early teens to think this is cool, otherwise you have to be pretty sure of yourself to play this in front of someone and not be embarrassed. Not sure if the voice acting is mediocre or just the lines are so silly that they can't be played better. Really, it's almost Devil May Cry or Bayonetta grade of silliness, but done seriously, without any tongue-in-cheek. This shouldn't discourage anyone from playing the game(after all, it's gameplay that matters), but surely holds it from being perfect.

On the technical side it's just fine. There's nothing really special about the graphics, but it's not bad and the framerate is pleasantly high. There's a disappointing amount of screen tear that can make your eyes bleed if you sit close to TV but I'm not sure if it's common or just happens to me as my console is old and sometimes gives me E74 or graphical glitches. Controls are good and responsive

Overall, it's a very good game for about 5 enjoyable evenings. Just forget the story and explore huge dungeons. Maybe worth a rent instead of buy. If you are for the achievements, completing the game will give you most and you'll have option to get almost all the stuff you missed.
My score: 7/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/10

Game Release: Darksiders (EU, 01/08/10)