Review by mmallory22

"A fun game, but certainly left wanting at the end."

It took me about 12 hours of play to beat this game, although I wasn't in a rush. Here's my take on it:

The game has decent graphics. The textures got a lot of flak in forums / reviews, and for good reason. They popped constantly, and the whole perspective got cut in half when I first started playing. A little googling revealed that you could download new video card drivers to fix the problem, and it helped greatly, though did not completely fix the issue. That being said, the textures of characters and enemies were good, and the environments were vivid enough to keep me interested.

The combat of the game was like most FPS's out today: switch between hipfiring and aiming down sights, take cover, go for headshots. Very fun, although I found the difficulty curve quite broken. I played on Hard difficulty, and not once did I feel like I was being pushed anywhere close to the limit. So if you're looking for a challenge, play on Nightmare. The crafting and engineering part of the game made for some explosive firefighting moments, and added a little variety to the gameplay overall; I won't say anymore as not to spoil it.

The racing aspects of the game were fun, however unchallenging and repetitive they may become towards the end.

The story was palatable, and as it's nothing that's not in the previews or the opening credits:
Big asteroid smashes into Earth. World governments create high-tech "Arks" to burrow underground containing people and technology and information to carry on the next age of humanity. You're one of those people, and wake up to find something went wrong, or else there wouldn't be a game.

I didn't bother checking out the multiplayer because all it is is racing. No deathmatches or flag capturing or bomb planting or anything. Racing doesn't do it for me.

The one big problem I had with the game was the ending. There was no giant boss battle or finality or anything to make it feel worthwhile. You embark on what would seem to be the beginning of the battle you've been waiting for the whole game, only for it to get cut short when it starts getting really fun. Developers need to remember how to make good boss-fights again; throwing an above average amount of enemies at the player at once is not a boss fight. Giving you one big enemy that just has a lot of health is not a "good" boss fight. They need complexity, or else it's just a matter of saving up your biggest baddest ammunition for that one fight and wiping the floor with them.

Overall it was a 7 out of 10. Worth playing once, but I doubt I'll ever go through it again. In retrospect, I wouldn't have bought it, but that's because I'm cheap like that.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/11/11

Game Release: Rage (US, 10/04/11)