Review by wolverinefan

"Fun but a game that isn't for everyone"

Arkadian Warriors was a game that hit the Live Arcade and just kind of came out of no where. Granted you never really see information on these games but whatever. It's like a super deformed version of Diablo and I must say it's actually decent.

I'm sure the game has a story but I just passed over it all. It involves going on lots of quests so I'm sure it's your typical Diablo-esq plot but more light hearted.

The game has very super deformed graphics but not too anime-esq. It's a definite cartoon look though but everything looks nice and it has a good shape. No jaggies or anything. The dungeons could use some work and the lighting is odd.

The music in the game seems kind of bland and didn't do much for me. The sound effects are nice with creature screams, blade hitting wood and the sound of fire being spit. It sounds alright but you won't need a surround sound system for this one.

The games controls are simple. I did tend to forget that to use a healing item that it was located on the d-pad but otherwise it was easy to get the hang of. One attack button, a transformation button. My only problem is that the camera angle can be rather bad and while the right stick moves them it's very slow so it almost isn't worth it sometimes.

Much like other dungeon crawler titles this game has you in a town, get a quest and go to a dungeon. The dungeons all have objectives be it kill all the boars or save someone. Very typical stuff but it's oddly fun in small doses.

There are three character classes to choose from so there is a little variety but they pretty much play the same. Even the combat can become tedious as you run around tapping that button over and over. But there is something slightly different here. Once you gain enough energy you can transform into a giant beast. It's kind of cool and fun but it moves a bit slow and takes damage quickly. Of course anyone who has played Untold legends 2 on the psp has already dealt with the transformation thing in this genre.

The game isn't overly long but the achievements should add a little extra play time to it all. The game also features co-op Live play but as the theme of 2008 seems to be, it's not working right for me.

Arkadian Warriors isn't exactly a great game but it has a charm to it. A charm that made me buy the game after trying out the demo. It's just fun and while I can't do more than a few dungeons in one sitting it's a good game to pop in every now and then.

Story - 7/10
Graphics - 7/10
Sound - 7/10
Control - 8/10
Game Play - 7/10
Replay value - 7/10

Final Score - 7/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/08/08

Game Release: Arkadian Warriors (US, 12/12/07)