Review by smashfanRespawn

"Not as bad as the recent MK games, but that's not saying much."

Anyone remotely in touch with gaming knows that Mortal Kombat hasn't been good since Deadly Alliance. Needless to say, this one isn't too much better, and why this game is getting mostly good reviews I cannot understand. On a bored, spur-of-the-moment whim, I decided to rent this game and give it a whirl. Good thing that's all I did. On with this review:

The visuals really shine in this game. Using the Unreal engine, the game boasts beautifully rendered character models and some nice level designs. It looks amazing when Batman throws an explosive Batarang or when Green Lantern hits an opponent with his hammer. No real complaints in this department; probably the best part about this mediocrity on a disc.

As usual, this is where a Mortal Kombat game falls flat. At least in DA and Deception they tried to cover up the lack of depth with mini-games as well as other random features, but not here.

Single player consists of 4 separate modes - Story, Arcade, Kombo Challenge, and Practice. Playing through Story mode on both sides of the spectrum is somewhat fun, even though the dialogue is laughably bad and the story itself revolves around mostly pointless fights. Arcade mode is just a bunch of random battles as expected from an MK game, so there's not too much I can say about it. Kombo Challenge is, simply put, a chore and not any fun at all. It requires the player to string together unrealistically difficult combos, and the slightest delay in said combo makes you start it all over again. I only strive to complete near-impossible challenges in games I really enjoy, but when the game being played (this one) isn't all that great to begin with, it's just not worth it to me. Practice mode is...well, I'm sure you can figure that one out for yourself.

Onto the actual gameplay itself. There are very few special moves per character and are easily whored. The fatalities are ridiculously watered-down and many of them seem like they would better better suited as regular moves during a battle. They aren't as hard to pull off as they are in the earlier games of the series, but still pretty tough. Engaging in Klose Kombat is cool for the first few times since it feels like you're more up-close and personal. Free Falling is awesome while you're kicking the crap out of your opponent while also struggling to get on top of one another before impact. The latter few things I mentioned redeem the gameplay from being total garbage, so I give this a 6/10

Not bad at all. The voice overs are nicely done, especially the announcer's booming voice everyone is familiar with. Also, the grunts and hitting noises are convincing. My only gripe with the sound is that the music in some of the levels could be a little better, so this gets a modest 7/10.

Replayability: 5/10

Once the story mode is finished and arcade has been completed with everyone, there's really nothing much to come back to, aside from the online.

All in all, this game is mediocre at best. This title is an obvious attempt by Ed Boon to save his sagging franchise. The Mortal Kombat series is a dying star heading for a black hole, and it's only a matter of time before the whole thing dies off altogether. All this game did was remove one gimmick and add another. Anyway, if you feel the need to play through this game, rent it. This is nowhere near worth the $60 price tag, and there are much better fighting games out there such as Soul Caliber IV and King of Fighters.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/09

Game Release: Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (US, 11/16/08)