Review by Shananagainz

"This was actually good, but....."

I've been a Mortal Kombat fan since I was born, well, since I could pick up a controller. Now, at this point, Midway hasn't been doing it's best lately, and with the release of Armageddon, Midway seems to have fallen from its throne, and can't get back up. Now, with the release of This new game, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, there is actually some originality with this release. I got this game for Christmas, hoping it would be as good as I thought it would be worth the 70 dollars my dad paid to get the game. After beating both storylines, and going through arcade, I am pretty sure it's time to write a review.

Gameplay: It's simple enough, like every Mortal Kombat game, you must beat the ever living snot out of your opponent in order to win the round(s) and proceed to the next fighter. Well, ever persistent Midway has some tricks up their sleeves to try to keep the fight interesting. Enter Close Kombat, and Free Fall Kombat. Close Kombat is grabbing onto your opponent and pressing buttons that don't match theirs, or you MUST match theirs if they engaged you in Close Kombat. Free Fall Kombat is the same idea, with the exception of have the chance to preform a super attack that send your opponent crashing into the ground. Otherwise, no new mechanics have been added. Controls are pretty simple to master, and don't really take much talent, unless you're doing the Kombo Challenges...

As far as gameplay goes, I'd give this an 8/10.

Graphics: Graphics for this game were aided by the new Unreal 3 engine, and I have to admit, it does a pretty good job showing off. Now, whenever you get hit enough times, you get bruised, or in the case of some fighters, your mask starts to fall off. With the new engine, the game seems more real, as far as the people and fighting gets, and a semi-good thing arrives in this game. Less blood. Now, for some Mortal Kombat fans, this might be the best case to say "What the heck, Midway?" but in some peoples cases, it's a good thing, Though in my opinion, they kind of cut the blood down a little to much. I understand the idea of not wanting a gallon of blood coming from a shin kick, but now you beat them to a pulp and all you get is about a pint. I would ask for more blood, but not at the rate the last three MK games were. Overall, I think this is a large improvement from previous tittles.

In the graphics department, I would give this game a 9/10.

Story: I play games mostly for the story, and as confusing as the story for this is, I think it's pretty good. A basic idea of the story would be: Shao Khan and Darkseid are fused together as they are going through portals while being zapped by Raiden and Superman respectively. The effect is that both universes are joined together and various superheros and villains are forced to fight the Mortal Kombatants. After a while they realize the only way to finish this is through Mortal Kombat, though a bigger threat lies in wait for these warriors. Yeah, I made that up on the spot, but it's pretty much the story in one big swoop. I recommend playing through one side first and analyze the story before you go and play the other side. If you have the Kollectors Edition, you get a cool comic about the game, which provides an interesting idea of what will happen.

The story, being original as it is, I give it a 9/10

Content: Now as a fresh Mortal Kombat game, packed with new features and almost perfect graphics, I kind of found it lackluster to see only twenty people make it in the game, and only four DC villains at that! Now, each MK character got a new costume, which most of them look completely awesome. What was missing for me were the rest of the MK2 cast, like Reptile, Kung Lao, Mileena, Cage, and DC was missing Robin, Aqua Man, Doomsday, and Terra, to name a few. Now there are only two unlockable characters to play as, Shao Khan and Darkseid, and they are pretty much the same. In my opinion, I can really say that there should be more characters, not an immense amount, like MK:A, but enough to keep us entertained. I was sorely disappointed with the way the cast came out, not because of who is in it, but because of who wasn't. The Fatalities make a return here, but only to MK characters and DC villains. On the other hand, DC hero's get Heroic Brutalities. Fatalities are a mean and heartless way to end your opponents life, and it's fun to watch. Brutalities is where a hero beats the ever living snot out of the opponent in a way specific to each hero. Hero's get these because DC didn't want their hero's image changed. As for the fatalities, they aren't as violent, and unfortunately, don't seem as fulfilling as older installments.

In an nutshell, Cast and Content get a 7/10

Kollector's Edition content: Seeing as I have the Kollector's Edition, I can have an input of what's in it. Obviously, it comes with the game and instruction manual, but it also comes with limited edition artwork, a comic book, and an extra DVD. I personally find the comic interesting, and the DVD is about how they made the game, but the only crappy thing about this edition is that the game and DVD come in a little paper sleeve, which I think isn't all too bright . Midway should really think over how they design their cases before shipping them out. Otherwise, I enjoy this edition and it's contents.

The Kollector's Edition receives a 9/10.

Online & Multiplayer: This is the third MK game to have online, and to be honest, I don't play it. I really don't have the patience to deal with people who whine because they lost a match, spamers and braggers. So, to be completely honest, I would only play with friends. Or have a friend come over and play with you. I think that games like this just need to stay between you and your friends. My score on online would be a 4/10, and the Multiplayer would be an 8/10.

Overall: The game itself is pretty good, but there are some things that just mess it up, and I just hope that Midway can get the money to release some new characters to play as. But other than that, this game is worth a rent, and if you like it enough, you can buy it. Also, if you can deal with a paper sleeve, then buy the Kollector's Edition.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/12/09

Game Release: Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (Kollector's Edition) (US, 11/16/08)