Review by MisterMarioMan

"Good, but just not enough."

Mortal Kombat back in it's heyday was considered the best of the best. With exciting, unique mechanics, including the ability to perform fatilities, this game literally dominated the arcades. However, in recent years, the series began to fall. With a series of flop titles, such as Armaggedon, most people began to believe the series was on it's way out. Could Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe save this dying series?

The answer is a resounding "NO"! Though fun, the troubled play of this game keeps it from shining brightly. The game-play is far too off from previous titles, the roster is far too small, and the entire thing is simply too cliche.

Lets talk first about the basis of the game. Basically, the worlds of Mortal Kombat and DC Comics have merged, and now the heroes and villians must team up to stop the other side. Cliche, I know, but I mean, how else do you really write this kind of story? It works to a point, but the story mode offers many poor plot moments that hold this title back.

The game offers characters from both Mortal Kombat and DC Comics. Now, you may not know me, but I LOVE DC Comics. So naturally I was quite excited at this concept. However, the concept is stifled with such a limited roster of only 22 characters. I've played games with only Mortal Kombat characters that had more than 22 characters, thus having such a small cast really limits the game.

The music from this game is lacking, too. I can't honestly tell you that a single song really stands out in my mind. Not that I really expected some tearjerking themes, but you could've given us something! Most fighting games really fall prey to this blunder, anyway.

Okay, I know I've been a little harsh, so lets talk about the good parts of the game. Playing as DC characters offers many new and exciting chances at moves, which are fairly faithful to the original characters. Themed stages look very nice, and the voiceovers are very well done. This is not a bad game by any means; it just needed a little more.

I honestly believe that if the game were pushed back a bit and worked on some more, it could've been much more successful. So should you buy it? Only if you really like the series. If not, you may wanna pass this one up, and possibly rent it. You can get everything out of this from renting it, anyway.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/09

Game Release: Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (US, 11/16/08)