Review by CaptainWhee

"Surprisingly well done...for a fighting game"

Up front, I'd like to say that I'm not a die hard Mortal Kombat fan, nor am I a die hard fighting game fan. For me, 2-D fighting games were fun, but nothing to completely devote myself to. In MK vs. DC, I only rented it, clearly expecting to be drawn into another "here's a half-naked guy/girl/something that wants to beat you up" game, but after playing MK vs. DC, I was happily proven wrong.

GRAPHICS: 10/10
Great graphics are wholly expected in today's gaming world, no if's, and's, or but's. This applies to FPS, MMPORG's, fighting games...basically every gaming genre. Right from the get-go, I was thinking "Whoa...this looks pretty freakin' sweet." And I'm just talking about the main menu, when the camera zooms in close to Batman coolly surveying his city while Scorpion lands in the background. Training mode allowed me to look closer at the graphics.

The detail on all of the characters costumes and skin was fantastic...the cloth looked soft, the armor looked hard, and the costumes of the DC characters was faithfully implimented. The Fatalities and Heroic Brutalities were satisfactory and looked just as painful as they always have, though they were considerably less gory than previous Mortal Kombat titles. Everything in the game was smooth, awe-inspiring, and incredibly well done. The graphics and movements of the characters are the game's shining points.

SOUND: 10/10
Not much to say here. The dialogue (speech, grunts and groans) were crisp and clear, and gave the player a sense of "Take THAT, you bastard!" when your character grunted as they wound up and dealt a crushing blow to your opponent.

STORY: 10/10
This is what sets MK vs. DC apart from your other fighting games. MK vs. DC actually HAS a storyline, complete with wonderfully done cinematics. When I realized that this MK actually had a storyline, not just a "two testosterone charged individuals duke it out over a battle of who-can-knock-the-ever-loving-crap-out-of-each-other-first" concept, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Any other fighting game in existance operates with no storyline, and of that, I can prove. I won't say too much about the storyline here, because I don't want to ruin it, but you can rest assured that the storyline is surprisingly well done and engaging.

The cinematics between fights (only in Story Mode), go where no fighting game has gone before...they actually explain WHY two certain individuals are squaring off against each other! I know, right?! Be it a personal grudge, a need for information, or a loss of personal control as a bloodlust consumes them, you'll go into battle with absolutely no advantage whatsoever over your opponent other than you'll be thinking "Oh. So that's why The Flash is fighting Shang Tsung."

REPLAYABILITY: 5/10
Unfortunately, the story mode is woefully short....I beat each universe's respective storyline in about an hour each. You can only unlock two characters, which can lead to "I don't get ANYTHING for beating Story Mode on Hard??" thoughts.

Arcade Mode isn't that impressive, because it has no story. Basically, you fight against increasingly tougher opponents until you climb to the top of the ladder. That's it. No extra characters, no extra costumers (which the designers could have really had fun with), no money, nothing. A small "ending" is unique to each character, but nothing special. Seriously.

CONCLUSION: 8/10
Everything except the game being far too short is excellent. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was a surprisingly engaging game, and delivers on many levels of enjoyment.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/09

Game Release: Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (US, 11/16/08)