Review by KeredsBlaze

"The Year is 2027..."

.Deus Ex: Human Revolution

The gameplay to Deus Ex is the best part of the game, and it is what brings you back to playing the game over and over again. The game is meant to be played as a stealth styled cover shooter, however you can take a lot of different paths to finishing a mission. You and not kill a single person, and finish a mission, or you can go in and take out as many people as you want. Hacking computers is something you do a lot of in this game, and I found the hacking to actually be fun, as it is a small mini game in itself. The other big positive to gameplay are your dialogue choices, and your decisions on how you want to augment yourself. You have a ton of different skills that you can choose to unlock, and this allows the player to mold your character into someone that fits your playing style. This was the best aspect of the game in my opinion. The one downfall that keeps the gameplay from getting a score of 10 are the loading screens. Anytime you go to a new area, the loading screen comes up, and they are painfully long, and annoying.

Story--8.5/10
The story behind Deus Ex is very solid and entertaining. The story focuses around Adam Jensen, who is the head of security for a large augmentation creation company. After an attack on Sarif headquarters nearly kills Jensen, and the rest of the scientists at the building, Jensen must undergo augmentations to survive. He becomes stronger and more resilient, and now he is on a mission to find who was behind the attack, and what it is they want. The story has plenty of twists and turns to keep you on your seat, but unfortunately, I still had a few unanswered questions after the game. A lot of sidequests also provide good backstory to the universe of Deus Ex.

Length/Replayability--9.5/10
Simply put, there is a ton to do in Deus Ex, and it will keep you busy for weeks. One playthrough with sidequests included will take you approximately 30 hours or so, and there are four possible endings to the game, which provide you more opportunities to play the game. Other reasons to continue to play the game are the different ways you can tackle objectives, or the different combinations of augs you can decide to upgrade.

Visuals--7/10
I wasn't really impressed with the visuals of Deus Ex. The character models seemed stiff and facial animations didn't have a lot going for them. The environment looked a lot of the same, the game plays off the theme of black and gold for it's color scheme, and this is cool for a while, but after that, it starts to get to dreery and kind of bland. Most of the environments are too dark, there is never a sense of day or night, and I just thought that the visuals could have been sharper given this generation of game engines.

Characters--7.5/10
The characters in Deus Ex are slightly above average, you don't get too much info on supporting characters such as David Sarif, Frank Pritchard, or Megan Reed. They could have done a better job of fleshing out these characters and providing a more dynamic backstory for them. Adam Jensen(the protagonist) and Faridah Malik are the two characters in the game that I felt like I learned the most about, but one problem with Jensen's character is the voice acting. He sounds like Christian Bale from Batman, and his voice never changes, it just seems a bit too gruff all the time. I didn't have a problem with any of the other VA's in the game, but then again, it is Jensen's voice you hear the most, so they should get it right.

Sound/Music--8/10
The sounds and main theme of Deus Ex, fit it perfectly, and add to the gameplay of the game, they mix very well, and the main theme is a memorable piece on it's own.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros
--Some of the best gameplay in a game to date
--Fun ways to exploit different options of gameplay
--Augmentations make gameplay that much better
--Solid story with some good plot twists
--Great length and replayability possibilities
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cons
--Visuals could have been better
--Jensen's poor voice acting
--Loading screens can be annoyingly long
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall, Deus Ex is a blast to play, and if you can get over a few minor flaws, this could be one of the best games you have played in a long time. I enjoyed this game much more than I thought I would, and I don't usually like stealth based games. There is a lot of opportunities for the player to make their own decisions on how they want to play the game, and that is what makes it so fun. I would give this game an 8.5/10 overall, and somewhere in my top 20 favorite games of all time..

*****8.5/10****

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/19/11

Game Release: Deus Ex: Human Revolution (US, 08/23/11)