Review by gtalover1212

"Best World War II game since Call of Duty 2"

Let me begin by saying that I hated Call of Duty 3 with a passion. The first game I got for my Xbox 360 was Call of Duty 2, and my expectations were so high for that of Call of Duty 3. I was extremely disappointed by how boring Call of Duty 3's campaign was. When Call of Duty 4 was released, I enjoyed it, but when I heard Call of Duty 5 was going to be made by the makers of Call of Duty 3, I was a little bit angry with Infinity Ward for handing their franchise over to another bad game maker to make something for people to play while they waited for the "real" Call of Duty game. This game is definably a real Call of Duty game.

My main gripe with the story is that it doesn't make you feel that all connected to the characters like Call of Duty 4 did. It had some good points, some great epic moments, and an awesome ending, but it still felt like any other WW ll game.

Sound:9/10
The guns in this game sound extremely realistic, and so do the explosions. It immerses you when playing the single-player mode, and adds a certain tenseness when playing multi player mode. The music does not fit along with what is happening on the screen though. For instance, in a certain chapter, you and a comrade are wandering through an abandoned building, and you hear heroic violin and drum beats, when you should hear nothing. It doesn't break up the mood, but it can be odd hearing it.

What can I say, graphics are graphics. The environments you explore as the Americans look great, the dense jungles and forests, but the ruined buildings of Berlin are a bit ugly to look at. But honestly, if you don't get a game because I gave the graphics a bad score, then you don't deserve to play video games.

The gameplay for this game does not try to change it up from the traditional Call of Duty formula. Gun enemies down until your safe to move up, rinse and repeat. However, this game makes the formula a bit more unique by introducing a coop mode (makes it harder as more players join), new weapons (bayonets, flamethrowers), and Death Cards (think Halo 3's skulls). All of these items can only add to the fun, especially Coop. Players have to work together in an extreme degree if they want to achieve victory on a certain level. The Death Cards add something new, whether it be turning all bullets into paint balls, or draining your life until you kill enemies. They can either add fun, challenge, or both. The new weapons don't add to much to the game, but the flamethrower is a fun addition to the formula, allowing you to quickly rush and burn everything in your path.

I also need to mention that there is a Zombie Nazi Coop mode, where four players are holed up in an abandoned bunker, in which they try to survive as long as they can against Nazi zombies, which change in appearance and skills throughout your time spent. You can buy new weapons, fix barricades, and unlock special areas using points you earn from killing Nazi zombies. It is a very fun mode, while still relying heavily on teamwork and skill.

Multiplayer: 9/10
The multiplayer is pretty much the same as Call of Duty 4's, except it offers new hardcore modes, as well as new banning restrictions on team killing. There are still prestiges and ranks to be earned, but most of it feels copy and pasted. The maps are good enough, some small, while some overly large, but pretty standard. It is still a blast to get together with some friends and play this game for a while, and overall it is pretty awesome. The only real differences I noticed besides the guns is that your clan tag now holds four letters, and helicopters are now replaced with vicious dogs that can usually kill a player in one or two hits, depending on if it is on hardcore or not.

Rent or Buy?

Definitely a buy if you have Xbox Live. It would only be considered a rent if you don't, seeing as all you have is single player mode, and the basic two player splitscreen.

All in all, Call of Duty 5 is an extremely polished game in my opinion, and deserves at least a nomination for Game of the Year.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/02/08

Game Release: Call of Duty: World at War (US, 11/10/08)