Review by No_one_special

"If you're expecting this game to live up to its hype, then you're an idiot..."

If you're looking for an entertaining game of mindless fun and debauchery, play Duke Nukem Forever.

Back when Duke Nukem Forever was still property of 3D Realms, I was only lightly acquainted with the iconic 90s Action Hero parody series. I'd played a few of the 2D titles and a little bit of DN3D, but that was about it. I still enjoyed the hilarious antics and sociopathic badassery of Duke Nukem, with his one-liners and general machismo toward both his enemies and his babes. The games weren't anything special, as by the time I'd played 3D I'd been spoiled by a similar groundbreaking title(Halo: Combat Evolved), but the character was the one who kept me playing when I could play.

That same character is back in Duke Nukem Forever, and as misogynistic and over-the-top as ever before. He benches 600 pounds, snaps the necks of charging pigcops twice his size, and receives rounds of fellatio from incestuous twin sisters while playing a true-3D version of Duke Nukem 3D. If you want to play this game just for the cheesy hilarity, play this game.

If you want to play this game to watch it "break ground" like 3D had done in the 90s, go look in the mirror and recite the Mystery Science Theater 3000 mantra and realize that there is NO WAY in hell that this game will live up to the decade-and-a-half of hype built around it by its original creators and its fans over the years. This game will not break any ground gameplay-wise, in fact the gameplay is lifted semi-wholesale from the Halo series, with a bit of signature Duke Nukem flavoring. This game will NOT blow your mind in terms of writing or story; if you want that go play Mass Effect. And, above all, it will NOT suddenly write Duke Nukem, the original Action Hero parody, as a deep and thoughtful character that reforms from his original, sociopathic ways. I welcome the possibility for this in sequels, but all one should want out of Duke Nukem Forever is a classic Duke Nukem experience: Badass fighting, intense gunplay, cheesy one-liners, and babes. You will get this in spades, as Gearbox did a remarkable job preserving a lot of what made Duke Duke.

This game is not without its faults, however. In terms of graphics, they can be quite an eyesore at times: there are pixelated and muddy textures in several environments, and the character models(while nice) would have fit better at the beginning of the Seventh Generation than in the middle.

Controls are solid and fun to play with, especially when it comes to interacting with the environment, but the vehicle controls aren't anywhere near as tight as other FPS games with vehicle segments(Halo: Reach). There are some highly frustrating moments, including trying to score high in pinball for health increases and playing games of airhockey for both health boosts and achievements, but on the whole, Gearbox delivered a good experience in terms of gameplay.

But, above all, just get over yourself if you're expecting this game to live up to its hype. This game is just like the first Fable game in a lot of ways: Put aside the hype and the speculation and just play the game, and you'll have a good time as the game IS a good game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/11

Game Release: Duke Nukem Forever (US, 06/14/11)