Review by cvmckenzie

"Pretty Damned Good"

The largest complaint I see coming from the gaming community about this game is that the levels feel rushed, awkward and jumbled together. There's of course the longer loading screens on the console versions and a small bit of texture pop in, but most will easily look passed that. This game is a First Person Shooter and it shoots from a first person perspective ever bit as well as should be expected: There's no lag, or constant frame rate skipping--It's smooth, unhindered and enjoyable. Duke Nukem Forever may not be the revolutionary shooter experience people were hoping for, but it does what I believe it set out to do very well.

As I said, the most consistent marks against this game comes from the level design. There are no nav-points, HUD maps or defined objective based mission system to speak of and I've yet to see anyone mention that. The game drops you into the middle of a level, and your goal is to figure out what to do while killing everything you encounter that tries to kill you.

Puzzle solutions aren't always clear and the correct direction to all your objectives is rarely spelled out for you. In a world where most AAA games tell their players exactly where to go and what to do when you get there, I found Duke Nukem to be a VERY welcome breath of fresh air...Though I can understand why modern gamers would see this approach as, "half-baked," "boring" or "lazy," to imply the game was rushed or feels broken because it refuses to hold your hand from objective to objective is asinine.

Duke Nukem Forever is a Good, 7 out of 10, game that has its fair share of flaws that are easily over-shadowed by the return of a character who's been Missing in Action for FAR too long. Call me a fanboy. Call me an elitist. Download the Demo and judge for yourself. The Game itself is good enough to deserve that much.

***
In response to other reviewers,

Giving this game any less than a 6 is flat-out wrong. Especially when considering how the 1-10 scale has been used over this generation. To seriously imply that duke nukem is a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 is to imply the game has either ludicrous control issues, which this game does not, or Game-breaking bugs, which haven't been encountered by anyone. This game may not reinvent the genre, but it doesn't have to nor does it even attempt to. It's better than Conduit and Goldeneye on the wii and it's different than Halo, COD and Bad Company on 360 and to me only came off as slightly inferior to Bioshock. The general consensus to what a 'severe problem' is in a game may have changed in the last 14 years, but being mad at a shooter for being a shooter that changes its pacing periodically is still relatively stupid.

It may not be worth $60.00 to you as you may not be sick of COD and Halo. But, to those of us that are, Duke Nukem Forever is a fun, tongue-in-cheek change of pace.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/27/11

Game Release: Duke Nukem Forever (US, 06/14/11)