Review by Flint879

"Duke Nukem...Took F***ing Forever"

This game has been through hell and back just to get onto store shelves. Is it worth the time to play after a 15 year waiting period? Yes and no. I'm gonna be a little biased about this game. Yes because it feels great to finally play the game and be back in the world of Duke Nukem. No because there really is nothing special about it. You would think that a game that has had so much time would at least be worth a damn.

STORY:
The story is simple to understand if you have ever played a Duke game in the past. Aliens invade Earth and they are after Duke, mostly after he "kicked their asses" in the previous games some years ago. The aliens also are taking the women of Earth, which ultimately makes Duke angry that his "chicks" are getting stolen. Simple enough. Nothing really out of the ordinary for a Duke game. Just another case of been there, done that.

CONTROLS:
The controls are set up fairly nice in this game. They are a bit clunky sometimes, but for the most part, they work, and that's all you need in any game. Although I will admit, the aiming was a bit jerky. It might have been just me, but I have played games with smoother aiming than this game, but I guess that will be up to whoever is playing it to decide.

SOUND:
The sound is pretty decent. The effects sound great coming out of a stereo system. The music score is pretty neat. Good rock and roll music goes well with the style of the game. The voice acting was atrocious though. The only person who sounded remotely good was Duke. He doesn't talk much in the game, but when he does, it's usually one of his one-liners or just a one-liner in general.

GRAPHICS:
The graphics are honestly not as good as I hoped for. They are choppy all the time, muddy at some points, and pixelation happens occasionally. For a game who stepped into the next gen era, it's not really up to date with the "today" technology. This is something we would have accepted 7 years ago. In other words, they aren't great, but they aren't bad either.

GAMEPLAY:
The gameplay can be summed up as follows: Run along a linear path, shoot aliens, maybe a boss fight somewhere (and there are quite a few of them), and interacting with the environment. You can interact with pretty much anything in the environment. You can make a photocopy of your behind, piss in a urinal, grab a turd and throw it, lift some weights, play some pool, etc. You get a narrow selection of weapons to choose from, which kind of sucks compared to the last decade Duke games had a huge variety. One cool thing is the power-ups. You can drink a can of beer and get "beer goggles" which makes you sustain less damage for the period you are drunk. Taking steroids speeds you up incredibly and increases your strength so one punch will render an enemy devastated. The environments aren't much to look at (kind of bland and ordinary actually), but it gets you from one place to the next.

RECAP:

PROS:
-Humorous at moments
-Naked women is always a good thing
-Sexual innuendos
-Gunplay can get intense at points
-Controls are smooth
-Interacting with this much stuff should be a crime

CONS:
-Story is very bland
-Aiming is jerky
-Voice acting is bad
-Graphics are choppy and muddy
-Gameplay is very linear
-Weapon selection is slim
-Half the game feels like pointless nonsense
-Character models are very stiff

Leaving off, I say this...15 years and they still can't manage to get some key things right in a game. 15 years was not worth the hassle of wondering if it was ever going to release or not. 15 years was not worth this game. It's not a bad game, but nothing groundbreaking enough to make it really stand out on it's own.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 07/07/11

Game Release: Duke Nukem Forever (US, 06/14/11)