Review by Doom_Art

"Surpasses the original in every every way"

When the first Mass Effect came out I loved it. Beautiful graphics wonderful gameplay and an interesting story. Now over two years after I played the first Mass Effect I got to pick up the sequel. One word:

Wow. It improves on the original in nearly every way from combat to graphics and story.

Anyway. On to the review.

My God. Realistic graphics that will make you stare in awe. The textures are better done, as are the shadow effects and lighting. One large improvement in the graphics is the removal of the "pop up" glitch from the first game in which textures would load as you were playing. Mass Effect 2 is definitely one of the best looking games this gen.

I can't really say a lot about the story other than if you enjoyed the story of the first Mass Effect, then you will definitely enjoy this, you'll see familiar faces from the first game as well as plenty of new characters to make things interesting. The choices you made from the first Mass Effect will be carried over, and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING from the smallest sidequest to the largest decision of the previous game. I haven't finished the story yet but from the 6 hours I've played I can tell it's going to surpass the first game's story in every way.

Gameplay: 9.5/10

Good lord how they have improved the gameplay. Combat has been significant revamped and is now actually fun as opposed to your weapons overheating like in the first game, your weapons now use ammo, a welcome change if you ask me. Experiencing combat in Mass Effect 2 made me realize how flawed the combat in the first game was. You can no longer get armor from safes and crates, something of which I am glad, as that was something that annoyed me about the first game. Bioware also added some tweaks to the dialogue system as well. At certain times through a conversation you can press the left trigger for a paragon choice, like say taking a gun out of someone's hand, or pull the right trigger for a renegade choice, like stabbing them in the back. The only thing that stopped me from giving this a perfect ten were some minor nitpicks I have with the game. For one, the text is actually too small, maybe it's the lighting or the colors used in the game, but for someone such as me who is near sighted it can be somewhat a problem to try and read the tiny text on the screen. But still, that hardly takes away from the rest of the experience.

I would've given it a 9.5/10 total but I'll just round it off to an even 10.

If you were a fan of the first Mass Effect, or just a fan of roleplaying games in general then I'd give this a shot. It's definitely worth it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/27/10

Game Release: Mass Effect 2 (Collectors Edition) (US, 01/26/10)