Review by dub_trips

"Major Improvement on the Original"

Although I have only played around six and a half hours into the game, it's clear that this sequel has improved upon the original in almost every facet possible.

The gameplay has arguably received the most improvement from the original (and tweaks that aren't necessarily good or bad.) There is no more weapon training, which I am glad for. The weapon upgrades work differently. Now, instead of receiving a bunch of different guns and upgrades all cluttered into your poor inventory management system, you get a few weapons that are upgrades on previous ones which can be equipped on your entire party. Your class dictates what weapons you are able to use. Each class has one unique ability and a few shared abilities, making each class somewhat of a new experience. Ammo has also been added, but I actually find that change for the better (some may disagree.) It forces you to change what weapon you use every so often. You usually will not run out unless you use one weapon for too long. Overall I find it much more enjoyable.

From what I've played, the story is also an improvement from Mass Effect 1. Side quests are no longer annoying and generally uninteresting, but now they are actually worth the rewards and entertaining as well. The main quest seems much more appropriately paced, and you no longer gain all the party members at the beginning of the game. The story is picks up faster too, and seems equally paced from the beginning to where I am now (heh.)

Music, Sound, and Voices: 10/10

Ehh, not really much to say here. The voice acting is good and the I do like the new sounds and explosions in the game compared to the first. I'd recommend looking up a few gameplay videos on youtube, however the sound quality may not be great due to it being on youtube.

I'm not a big graphics man. If it doesn't hurt my eyes to look at, I'm happy. However the graphics are exceptional in this game, showing even the subtle details on characters faces. Expressions can be easily understood. The scenes where you can sit back and watch are enjoyable due to the extra benefit of being able to read the characters faces. Even the aliens' faces are easily understood.

Highly recommended buy. Mass Effect 2 combines great gameplay and story with the choices and consequences we all love from the Mass Effect series. Also included with your purchase is a Cerberus Network card, allowing you access to free DLC. So far all that is out is The Normandy Crash Site, but it has promised more including a new party member.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/28/10

Game Release: Mass Effect 2 (US, 01/26/10)