Review by xjuggernaughtx

"Imagine this as a sad face emocon"

I'm fairly surprised by the glowing reviews everywhere for this. I couldn't wait for this game to come out. It's the only game I've ever pre-ordered. And unfortunately, I'm a little disappointed. It's still a great game, but it is slightly worse than the original in a lot of catagories.

The graphics are beautiful, voice acting is great. The plot thus far has been pretty good, but not as good as the first. I'm about 20 hours in. My team mate's AI seems better. This is all good stuff.

However, all of my customization options have been taken away! Sure I'm a biotic, but somehow, I don't get all the biotic powers. Wanna buy some guns? Too bad, you can't. Maybe you'll find an upgrade later! Have fun maxing out those powers after a few hours of gameplay, and isn't it great that all the characters will end up being just like those of your friends? Maybe on the second and third playthrough, you can assign points differently to see what that would be like? Guess again! There are so few slots that isn't going to happen.

I guess I was the only one who liked the Mako, but even if you didn't, I can't image that the planet scanning is more fun. You used to get a car that could drive around and shoot things. Occasionally you would run into a monster or some bandits. Now you get the excitement of slowly scanning a planet remotely and launching a probe. Hooray.

But the biggest complaint I have is the empty feeling of the game. I guess I'm about halfway through and I have barely had any sidequests worth mentioning. "Go get me some better food to prepare in the mess" does not count as a good sidequest. The main quests feel abbreviated. Getting Liara in the first game was epic. Picking up Grunt or Mordin in this game feels like an everyday activity. It barely takes any time at all, and there is no "Holy Crap" points. The closest was getting Garrus, and even that fight was no real sweat.

And I mean, Gear of War is fun and all, but I didn't need my Mass Effect to be it's mirror image. I didn't have a problem with the guns in the first game, but it makes the games illogical now to have clips. You never ran out of ammo in the first game, so why now does my gun run out of ammo. Couldn't I just wait a second for the gun to cool down? The manufacturers of the guns have now completely taken that option out? Ridiculous.

I'm having a good time playing Mass Effect 2, but I really feel let down by it.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/28/10

Game Release: Mass Effect 2 (US, 01/26/10)