Review by XeLLoS_o9

"A Mass of Poop evolves into a Mass of Greatness"

So I haven't really played Mass Effect 1 all that much considering all the crap I heard about it. Although I heard the story line was fantastic. I played the first 30 minutes of Mass Effect 1, the story really put me there but I could not bear it because the frame rate was not consistent enough for me to play it enjoyably. The auto save system was crap and made me start 20 minutes from where I actually was when I died. The combat was "Okay" but not enough for me to actually give it a good score.

When Mass Effect 2 came out, I said, "Meh" I was out at Gamestop because I had 60 bucks to spare. So I bought Mass Effect 2. Obviously I heard good things but I didn't have high hopes. When I popped the disk in the first thing I did was download it to the HDD cause it gets rid of loading time significantly.

Story line: 9/10
I didn't play Mass Effect 1 all the way so I didn't know what was going on or who the people were. But with very good voice acting I really felt like I cared about the characters. The beginning is exciting and would not have done it better. While I didn't really know what I was supposed to do, I had a general idea where and what to do. It was all a mystery to me, I didn't know who the enemy was or what I was fighting... yet. It really opens up about 2-3 hours into the game when I recruited most of the people I needed. With a great set characters and immersive story I am really enjoying this. I'm not giving this a perfect because I replayed the first cutscene about 6 time... and I could not skip it. I did it because I wanted to try all six classes before picking what I wanted to be. Also, I wished it was built to satisfy both returning fans and newcomers to the series.

When I started fighting and shooting, I shat my pants. They added in cross hairs instead of that annoying circle. They got rid of the overheating guns and replaced that with real ammo. The cover system isn't as clunky as the first, taking cover is easy. It was like playing Gears of War. The AI were kinda dumb in the first game but in this game they are vastly improved but not perfect, sometimes my teammates stood on the cover instead of hugging it and they also got in my line of fire when I was in combat. The regenerating health is far more superior to the first game's health system, I don't have to constantly worry about my health when I know that it will regenerate.

That's all I really cared about in Mass Effect 2, the music was good, the characters in the story line review. All in all it's a really satisfying game. It improved on everything, I would have given it a perfect score if they tweaked the AI and the story just a bit. I'm giving this game a
9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/04/10

Game Release: Mass Effect 2 (US, 01/26/10)